Utah Jazz: Big Al Jefferson not as big after tough summer
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Coming into camp, Jazz center Al Jefferson felt better physically than he had in a long time, maybe ever.
Big Al spent most of the extended offseason on a workout mission in Santa Barbara. While dropping fat and adding muscle, the 280-pound Jefferson spent so much time at the Jazz-recommended P3 performance facility, he could give tours.
"The only good thing about the offseason going longer," Jefferson said, "was that it was just more time for me to work and get better."
The Jazz are excited to reap the rewards of Jefferson's working vacation in SoCal.
"His work in the summer's really showing," Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said.
Utah worked mostly on defensive adjustments the first couple of practices, and Jefferson has shown more agility and athleticism while rotating and getting back on D.
He's sacrificing his body a bit, too.
Corbin said Jefferson took three charges in the first two sessions.
"I don't remember him taking many charges at all last year," a smiling Corbin said. "His position is better. He feels good about how he can move and react and get back to one spot, and (has) quickness of doing both."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Twitter: DJJazzyJody
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 71
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 32
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 31
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 15