Oden hasn't appeared in a game in two years. After the Blazers drafted him out of Ohio State, he had microfracture surgery on his right knee and waited until 2008 to make his NBA debut. He also broke his left kneecap and sat out much of the 2009-10 season.
He is averaging 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds in 82 career games.
To top off the Blazers' woes, Aldridge when to a routine exam by his cardiologist on Friday and it was determined that he should undergo a procedure to treat Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome, a condition which causes the ventricles of the heart to contract prematurely.
The Blazers say he should miss less than two weeks and should be ready for the team's opener on Dec. 26.
Aldridge was first diagnosed with the condition in 2007. He had a similar procedure, and missed the final nine games of the 2006-07 season.
Late Friday Aldridge posted to Twitter account: "Thanks for the support everybody. I'm feeling better and will be ready to go in a few days."
The 6-foot-11 forward from Texas led the team with 21.8 points and 8.8 rebounds per game last season, the best averages of his five-year NBA career. He had 36 double-doubles.
Meanwhile, the Trail Blazers are left to embark on the lockout-shortened season with a young roster and depth questions. The Blazers are already over the salary cap, which limits their moves on the free agency market.
"I still believe in the core of this team. It's not going to be easy. We'll have to rely on some younger players to step up off the bench for us," Buchanan said. "We've been through a lot of challenges the last few years and I have no doubt (coach Nate McMillan) will rally the troops and get our guys going this year."
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 81
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 66
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 53
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 29
- Pac-12 South: Bruins the favorite, but... 22