John Clark, Deseret News archive
If you are like me, you may sometimes wonder what you are saying when you sing those once, no doubt but now, seldom used words like "dross," "verdure" and "felicity" as found in the hymn book. You may contemplate the word for a few beats after it has been sung, or perhaps inversely proportionate to the interest generated by the next speaker, you may contemplate the word still further, even writing it down to be looked up later in the dictionary. But then likely the concern fades away until it is brought up again when next the song is sung.
You may shrug off that you are using an unknown word and the problem rests until the next singing of the song. But again, when the hymn is announced and the singing commences, you have the uncomfortable concern that you are again about to sing — at the top of you voice, and with great feeling, a word like "buckler," and that other than from its context in the song, you haven't a clue as to what you are saying.
Let me introduce you to the "Hasek Glossary of Unfamiliar Words from Familiar Hymns." With it you will be able to set back with the secure knowledge that you know what you are singing about. So my dear friends, "be not disconsolate," "gird up you loins" and "head for the nearest sultry glebe."
Glossary of some unfamiliar words from familiar hymns
Word (Hymn No.): Definition
Balm (70): Aromatic ointment
Buckler (250): A method of protection, small shield
Diadem (272): A crown worn by royalty
Disconsolate (115): Hopelessly sad; gloomy
Dross (272): Waste product, worthless, commonplace, trivial
Efficacious (149): Capable of producing a desired result
Effulgent (116): Shining brilliantly
Felicity (147): Great happiness
Fervid (103): Fiery, enthusiastic, energetic
Gird (30): Fasten or secure, to prepare oneself for action
Glebe (109): Land, earth
Laud (246): To give praise
Legates (262): Official representation
Naught (17): Nothing, of no value
Psaltery (72): Stringed musical instrument
Refulgent (14): Shining radiantly
Tempestuous (104): Stormy
Verdure (42): Fresh, flourishing condition
Yore (21): Time long past
John Hasek lives in Nauvoo, Ill.
- 19 inspiring Christmas quotes from President...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- LDS World: Jesus Christ is the solution
- LDS Church clarifies position on...
- How would LDS be affected by renewed US-Cuba...
- Defending the Faith: A modern witness... 44
- How would LDS be affected by renewed... 27
- LDS Church to create new missions in... 20
- Christmas without Jesus 19
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 16
- Visiting minister urges unity among... 10
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey... 8