John Clark, Deseret News archive
If you are like me, you may sometimes wonder what you are saying when you sing those once, no doubt but now, seldom used words like "dross," "verdure" and "felicity" as found in the hymn book. You may contemplate the word for a few beats after it has been sung, or perhaps inversely proportionate to the interest generated by the next speaker, you may contemplate the word still further, even writing it down to be looked up later in the dictionary. But then likely the concern fades away until it is brought up again when next the song is sung.
You may shrug off that you are using an unknown word and the problem rests until the next singing of the song. But again, when the hymn is announced and the singing commences, you have the uncomfortable concern that you are again about to sing — at the top of you voice, and with great feeling, a word like "buckler," and that other than from its context in the song, you haven't a clue as to what you are saying.
Let me introduce you to the "Hasek Glossary of Unfamiliar Words from Familiar Hymns." With it you will be able to set back with the secure knowledge that you know what you are singing about. So my dear friends, "be not disconsolate," "gird up you loins" and "head for the nearest sultry glebe."
Glossary of some unfamiliar words from familiar hymns
Word (Hymn No.): Definition
Balm (70): Aromatic ointment
Buckler (250): A method of protection, small shield
Diadem (272): A crown worn by royalty
Disconsolate (115): Hopelessly sad; gloomy
Dross (272): Waste product, worthless, commonplace, trivial
Efficacious (149): Capable of producing a desired result
Effulgent (116): Shining brilliantly
Felicity (147): Great happiness
Fervid (103): Fiery, enthusiastic, energetic
Gird (30): Fasten or secure, to prepare oneself for action
Glebe (109): Land, earth
Laud (246): To give praise
Legates (262): Official representation
Naught (17): Nothing, of no value
Psaltery (72): Stringed musical instrument
Refulgent (14): Shining radiantly
Tempestuous (104): Stormy
Verdure (42): Fresh, flourishing condition
Yore (21): Time long past
John Hasek lives in Nauvoo, Ill.
- Police interviewing some of the 12 girls...
- Responding to Trump, Clinton says he has 'no...
- 1st edition Book of Mormon sells for $52,500...
- Pope prays at Armenia memorial after...
- LDS Church releases new video of Elder...
- Warnings come true: Indicted FLDS leader Lyle...
- Utah welcomes His Holiness the 14th Dalai...
- Twila Van Leer: What family history treasures...
- Mormon youth leader dies on trek outing... 70
- LDS Church releases new video of Elder... 34
- Defending the Faith: The challenge... 27
- Survey: White evangelicals say US no... 21
- Trump to top evangelicals:... 19
- Warnings come true: Indicted FLDS... 18
- Elder Holland introduces new Mormon... 15
- Report says list of ‘Islamophobic... 11