BYU football: Cougars announce home-and-home series with Washington State
PROVO — BYU will open the 2012 football season at home against Washington State on Sept. 1, as part of a home-and-home series between the two schools, BYU announced Friday.
The BYU Cougars will travel to Pullman, Wash., for a game against the Washington State Cougars at Martin Stadium in 2013.
"We're excited to finalize this series with Washington State," BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe said in a statement. "It fits well with our philosophy of scheduling regional games with quality opponents. It also gives our fans in the Northwest another opportunity to see our football team play live."
The matchup will mark the return of newly hired WSU coach Mike Leach to Provo. Leach, the former Texas Tech coach, is a BYU graduate. Next September's BYU-WSU game will also be Leach's debut as Washington State's head coach.
BYU and Washington State have met three times in the past, including the first meeting in the 1981 Holiday Bowl where Jim McMahon led BYU to a 38-36 victory in his final game as a Cougar. In 1989, BYU lost to WSU, 46-41, and in 1990 BYU won, 50-36.
Additional details including broadcast plans, game times and ticket information will be released at a later date.
BYU's other opponents in 2012 are expected to be Georgia Tech, Weber State, Utah, Boise State, Hawaii, Utah State, Oregon State, Notre Dame, New Mexico State, San Jose State, and Idaho. Not all the dates for those games have been officially announced.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 33
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 26
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 17
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 14