BYU football: Cougars announce home-and-home series with Washington State
PROVO — BYU will open the 2012 football season at home against Washington State on Sept. 1, as part of a home-and-home series between the two schools, BYU announced Friday.
The BYU Cougars will travel to Pullman, Wash., for a game against the Washington State Cougars at Martin Stadium in 2013.
"We're excited to finalize this series with Washington State," BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe said in a statement. "It fits well with our philosophy of scheduling regional games with quality opponents. It also gives our fans in the Northwest another opportunity to see our football team play live."
The matchup will mark the return of newly hired WSU coach Mike Leach to Provo. Leach, the former Texas Tech coach, is a BYU graduate. Next September's BYU-WSU game will also be Leach's debut as Washington State's head coach.
BYU and Washington State have met three times in the past, including the first meeting in the 1981 Holiday Bowl where Jim McMahon led BYU to a 38-36 victory in his final game as a Cougar. In 1989, BYU lost to WSU, 46-41, and in 1990 BYU won, 50-36.
Additional details including broadcast plans, game times and ticket information will be released at a later date.
BYU's other opponents in 2012 are expected to be Georgia Tech, Weber State, Utah, Boise State, Hawaii, Utah State, Oregon State, Notre Dame, New Mexico State, San Jose State, and Idaho. Not all the dates for those games have been officially announced.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48