In the first grand jury report, issued Nov. 5, an accuser said he had not had contact with Jerry Sandusky for nearly two years but in the weeks before giving his testimony he received phone messages from Sandusky, Dottie Sandusky and a Sandusky friend seeking to talk to him about something important. Dottie Sandusky is otherwise mentioned, in passing, by only one of other alleged victim. He claimed she was part of a family contingent that went to bowl games he attended, and he testified she was not present when the former coach allegedly took him to a resort.
Lawyers who are not connected to the case said Thursday that evidence made public so far does not prove Dottie Sandusky did anything wrong although they said prosecutors almost certainly are interested in talking to her and lawsuits will almost certainly name her.
Dottie Sandusky, whose real name is Dorothy, met Jerry Sandusky at a summer picnic in 1965, just before he began his senior year at Penn State, according to his book, "Touched."
They married in September 1966 and tried to start a family after he finished graduate school at Penn State, but discovered from doctors that they were not able to have children of their own for reasons that he didn't specify.
Eventually, they adopted six children and the book portrays her as presiding over a bustling house filled with their own children, their children's friends and children from The Second Mile charity, preparing most family meals and refereeing sibling rivalries.
"Dottie was the leader," his book reads. "I became another kid for her to supervise as well. As I said before, there was never a dull moment in the Sandusky household, and I don't think any of us would have wanted things any other way."
Associated Press writer Kathy Matheson contributed to this report from Philadelphia. Levy reported from Harrisburg, Pa.
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 147
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 48
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27