ANCHORAGE, Alaska — The Alaska Aces defeated the Utah Grizzlies 3-1 Wednesday evening at the Sullivan Arena in a matchup of the top two teams in the ECHL.
The league-leading Aces (16-4-1-1) extended their unbeaten streak to 10-straight games in the process at 8-0-1-1. The Grizzlies (13-7-0-1) four-game unbeaten streak came to an end. The two teams will square off again Friday and Saturday in Alaska.
Utah took a 1-0 lead with 21 seconds left in the first period as Justin Dowling (3) picked up a turnover in between the circles and worked in on Aces goaltender Gerald Coleman who had no chance on the play.
Alaska, however, finished the game with three-straight goals, starting 1:40 into the second period on the power-play as Kane LaFranchise scored. The Aces made it 2-1 with 3:17 left in the second period when Matt Ambroz tapped in a loose puck as Alaska raced up ice. They made it 3-1 in the third as Wes Goldie took a centering pass in transition for the insurance goal.
Shane Owen stopped 29 of 32 shots as he suffered his first regulation loss of the year and dropped to 3-1-0-1.
The Grizzlies return home Dec. 14 and Dec. 16 for 7:05 p.m. face-offs.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45