"The Sitter" — Jonah Hill, world's worst babysitter. Must have sounded like such movie magic that director David Gordon Green and his team grabbed the first three brats they found on the street, shoved them in a minivan with Hill and started filming. As broad, dumb comedy goes, it's not a bad idea to cast Hill as a chubby slacker roped into a hellish night tending to a high-maintenance brood. Yet other than Hill's admirable work ethic trying to squeeze laughs out of this dismally underdeveloped scenario, the movie has nothing going for it, slogging from one rotten gag to the next. The movie's also a serious racial offender, parading a gang of black actors around as hoods stealing cars, talking jive or looking for a fight. Hill plays an idler minding three annoying siblings (Max Records, Landry Bender and Kevin Hernandez), who tag along with him on a mirthless trek through Manhattan in search of the cocaine he needs to keep his sort-of girlfriend (Ari Graynor) happy. To his credit, Hill tries to make this mess work, without success. Co-starring Sam Rockwell in a wretched role as a psychotic drug dealer. R for crude and sexual humor, pervasive language, drug material and some violence. 81 minutes. One and a half stars out of four.
— David Germain, AP Movie Writer
- Vegas’ water drying up
- Teen stowaway shows holes in vast airport...
- Photo gallery: Celebrating Easter across the...
- Grieving borrowers told to repay student loan
- Costa Rican a celebrity after certified miracle
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan's affirmative...
- Summer movie preview: Hollywood bets big again
- Harry Potter fans: Hogwarts is offering...
- Affordable Care Act only chips away at... 25
- Public smoke-out marks pot holiday in... 12
- Judge: Indiana hasn't given valid... 12
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan's... 12
- Some countries get Obama, but want his... 11
- Grieving borrowers told to repay... 11
- Democrats eye 15 cities for 2016... 10
- Colorado deaths stoke worries about pot... 8