Fitzpatrick said Fine hurt not only Davis and Lang but Boeheim and the university.
"He let his friend go out and attack the victims, never once warning him they were telling the truth," Fitzpatrick said. "Then stood by and did nothing while that friend was vilified."
Repeated attempts by The Associated Press to contact Davis and Lang have been unsuccessful. Knocks on the doors of their two darkened houses were unanswered Wednesday after Fitzpatrick's statement.
A woman hanging Christmas lights outside the Fines' house said the couple are in Florida.
As Fitzpatrick called out Fine on Wednesday, he softened his once-sharp criticism of the police and university investigations and rebuked those who have called for the resignations of Boeheim and university Chancellor Nancy Cantor. He said the case can't be compared to Penn State, where head football coach Joe Paterno and college administrators knew of the accusations against Jerry Sandusky, who maintains his innocence.
"It's not only inaccurate, it's not fair," he said.
Fitzpatrick laid the blame squarely on Fine.
"Hasn't Bernie Fine caused enough pain in this community?" Fitzpatrick said.
Fitzpatrick said his investigation started out to answer several questions, among them: Were Davis and Lang being truthful?
"On almost every single criteria, Bobby Davis came out as a credible person," the district attorney said. "Mike Lang also comes across as a credible person."
Fitzpatrick also directed personal comments to Lang at Wednesday's press conference.
"For Mike Lang, who still feels he could have done more to help his little brother: Mike, it's never too late to do the right thing," he said. "And let it be known by everybody in this room that you did just that: The right thing."
Associated Press writers Michael Virtanen, Chris Carola and George Walsh in Albany and Michael Hill and John Kekis in Syracuse contributed to this report.
- Cougars football team undergoing reality...
- Utah football: The Michigan Wolverines in 6...
- NFL cuts tracker (updated): Former BYU WR...
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- Amy Donaldson: Football has helped Ute...
- Damian Lillard finding success with rap...
- BYU's Mendenhall on the cusp of embarking on...
- Morning links: 'Unorthodox' Harbaugh; 'nice'...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 92
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 63
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 30
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 26
- Cougars looking for special season with... 26
- BYU football: With opener one week... 23
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4... 16