Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret Nred
SALT LAKE CITY — Having seen a few players around town the past few days, Utah Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin feels good about their physical shape heading into Friday's camp opener.
And general manager Kevin O'Connor believes the Jazz will be a competitive, underdog team, and he doesn't sound like a guy on the verge of trading either Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap or anybody else.
The biggest could-be news to come out of a pre-camp press conference this afternoon, however, was that the Jazz might enter this season with yet another new coach.
O'Connor and Corbin confirmed a big-man coach might be hired to help with the development of Utah's post players, especially promising youngsters Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter.
"There may be an opportunity for us to add somebody to this staff," Corbin said. "We'll make the announcement shortly if we get the chance to do it. It'd have to be soon, because we want to try to get everything tied up."
Soon, as in by Friday when players will report in the late afternoon for Day 1 of the condensed camp.
"I think we'll do something pretty quick," O'Connor admitted. "I would look at trying to do something sooner than later. ... If we went through training camp without one, then I wouldn't want to go into it."
Asked if the seemingly inevitable hire will be someone with Jazz ties, Corbin responded: "I don't know. We'll see."
When Hall of Fame power forward Karl Malone's name was mentioned, Corbin laughed and wondered if The Mailman would want to be tied down: "I'd have to call Karl. It's a full-time job."
Corbin hinted the hire might not necessarily be an in-game bench position, but rather an in-practice development coach.
"It would be (important). It would help us," Corbin said. "It would give the staff that's doing all the other stuff more time to focus in on that and the guy can really zoom in on developing guys."
This summer, the Jazz hired former point guard and NBA head coach Sidney Lowe to be Corbin's third assistant along with returners Scott Layden and Jeff Hornacek.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DJJazzyJody
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 108
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 65
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 31
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 22
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 21
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 13
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C.... 12