"Certainly, in hindsight, more should have been done to encourage Bobby Davis to come forward, to make him feel welcome to come in and give a statement, and new procedures have been put in place by Chief (Frank) Fowler to address that issue," Fitzpatrick said.
Fitzpatrick was highly critical of police and the university two weeks ago, saying they should have notified his office of any allegations of sexual abuse. He softened somewhat on Wednesday, calling the university's 2005 investigation inadequate but insisting there was no indication anybody tried to cover up the claims.
"There is not a shred of evidence that we have uncovered, or a suggestion of evidence, that anybody at the Syracuse Police Department was directed to ignore this matter, destroy their notes or to encourage Bobby Davis to remain silent," Fitzpatrick said.
Fine was fired after the three men made public accusations and ESPN played a 2002 recording of a phone call in which a woman ESPN identified as his wife tells an accuser she knew "everything that went on."
Tomaselli's claims fall within federal statutes of limitations and are being investigated by the U.S. Secret Service.
Investigators searched Fine's home, office and school locker, looking for pornography that could be used "to sexually arouse or groom young males" to have sex, court records say. The investigators took computers, cameras, disks and records, among other things. They're also looking for any records that would detail Fine's contact with boys.
Fitzpatrick said he wouldn't judge Fine.
"It is not my place to pronounce Bernie Fine guilty of anything," he said.
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a football...
- Brad Rock: Jerry Sloan praises ref who may...
- Preseason viewer’s guide: Clash of the...
- Felt's Facts, Week 1: Where does Duchesne's...
- High school football: Top 10 storylines to...
- BYU coaches focus on shoring up special teams
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 146
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 110
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 106
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 76
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 75
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a... 66
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should... 46