Evan Vucci, Associated Press
WASHINGTON — Thousands of people protesting what they say is corporate greed and the role of money in politics marched Wednesday along lobbyist-lined K Street in the nation's capital, snarling traffic on some of the city's busiest downtown streets.
District of Columbia police spokesman Officer Araz Alali said officers have arrested some protesters, though it wasn't immediately clear how many or what provoked the arrests.
The protesters, inspired by the Occupy Wall Street movement, came from across the country and gathered under a steady rain. One demonstrator, Teresa Law, 50, of Springfield, Ohio, said she came to protest against corporate America and because jobs that the government promised to create have not been created.
"I've nothing against the rich. I've something against a greedy man," Law said. She added, "Corporate America has taken over the government."
Shortly after 1 p.m., there was a standoff between police officers and protesters at 14th and K Streets NW, one of the busiest intersections in the city. Traffic was at a standstill and cars were turning around, rerouting themselves away from the area.
Police have blocked off K Street while keeping a close eye on the group.
A tent has been erected adjacent to McPherson Square, where Occupy DC has had its encampment since October.
Associated Press writer Brett Zongker contributed to this report.
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in shooting
- Ferguson businesses torched in overnight...
- In New Zealand, feud over fate of 1902 corpse...
- Latinos are 'very optimistic' about America's...
- Why Salt Lake City is one of the best cities...
- At least 17 killed in Egypt by building collapse
- Thanksgiving trumps Black Friday for deals
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 63
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 30
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 29
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 18
- Winners and losers under Obama's... 18
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Boehner: 'We will not stand idle' on... 14
- Obama immigration plan good, not great... 13