"He's demonstrated an ability to create an environment of success. We clearly want that in our program here," he said. "We have lofty goals; we have goals to compete in this conference, to win championships and compete at the national level, and I believe he's the man that will lead this program to do that. ... I'm excited about the future of this program."
JOHN L. SMITH FILE
Hometown: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Alma mater: Weber State (1968-71)
Assistant at Weber State (1972), Montana (1972-76), Nevada (1977-81), Idaho (1982-85), Wyoming (1986), Washington State (1987-88) and Arkansas (2009-11).
Head coach at Idaho (1989-94), Utah State (1995-97), Louisville 1998-2002) and Michigan State (2003-06).
Head coaching record: 132-86 (18 years); Idaho (53-21), Utah State (16-18), Louisville (41-21), Michigan State (22-26).
Postseason appearances: 1989-90, 1992-94 (I-AA playoffs); 1997 (Humanitarian Bowl); 1998 (Motor City Bowl); 1999 (Humanitarian Bowl), 2000 (Liberty Bowl), 2001 (Liberty Bowl), 2002 (GMAC Bowl); 2003 (Alamo Bowl).
Conference titles won or shared: 6
Awards/honors: Big Sky scholar-athlete and Academic All-American, 1971; all-time winningest coach at University of Idaho with 53 victories; Idaho Athletic Hall of Fame, 2001; Big Ten Coach of the Year, 2003.
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a mythical...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- High school football: Riley Nelson hired as...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian players...
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story priceless,...
- Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again
- High school softball: 5A, 4A, 3A state...
- Considerable work, planning has gone... 71
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 65
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 57
- Utes football: No changes imminent for... 55
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 51
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A, 3A state... 49
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 47
- BYU football to receive 6-figure payout... 40