Ravell Call, Deseret News archives
It's Utah State's first bowl invitation in 14 years, so the Aggies aren't complaining.
But that doesn't mean Rock On can't.
Ohio and USU will meet Dec. 17 in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. Aggie coach Gary Andersen predicted it will be "a great experience for the young men."
True, if you don't mind playing in temperatures in the 30s, in a place that's as exciting as, well, a baked potato.
Still, what do they care? Normally at this time of year they're working at room temperature, watching games from a couch.
Potato Bowl it is.
Chives and sour cream not included.
So the Jake Heaps era is over.
No Heisman award, no national championship and no passing records – at least at BYU.
Who knew when he said he loved independence he was talking about himself?
THE FIRE WITHIN
State and city officials in Utah say they are planning a ceremony in February to commemorate the 10-year anniversary of the 2002 Olympics.
Former Olympians such as Sara Hughes and Derek Parra have been invited to attend. Also invited is presidential consideration Mitt Romney, who headed up the 2002 Games.
Sources say Romney and wife Ann are planning to challenge Newt and Callista Gingrich to an ice dancing stare-off, to determine the Republican nominee..
A BEAUTIFUL NOISE
Concert promoters recently announced Neil Diamond's North American concert tour will stop at Rio Tinto Stadium on July 28, 2012.
No word on whether he plans to dedicate "Done Too Soon" to Real Salt Lake's 2011 season.
Turkish basketball club Besiktas held a ceremony recently to retire Deron Williams' jersey.
After just six games, the club decided to hoist Williams' number to the rafters.
Sources say the Nets are planning the same, right after D-Will leaves for Dallas as a free agent.
Seventy-something former CFL players Joe Kapp and Angelo Mosca got into a brawl at a football luncheon, last week.
Rock On sources say it had something to do with late hits, on-field taunts and cursing into one another's Life Alert.
TIMING IS ALL
Akron football coach Rob Ianello was fired via cell phone as he was driving to his mother's funeral.
Apparently they were hoping to catch him after his house caught on fire and his dog died, but since those never happened, they just had to make do.
email: email@example.com Twitter: therockmonster Facebook: Rockmonster Unplugged
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia team...
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No. 23 in...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: BYU football's first...
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- With Chuckie Keeton's status still uncertain,...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a little...
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6 seasons, but...
- Dick Harmon: BYU safeties Craig Bills, Dallin...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 129
- Roller-coaster ride: BYU outlasts... 103
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 78
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 43
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 43
- BYU football report card: Mostly B's... 36