Ravell Call, Deseret News archives
It's Utah State's first bowl invitation in 14 years, so the Aggies aren't complaining.
But that doesn't mean Rock On can't.
Ohio and USU will meet Dec. 17 in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. Aggie coach Gary Andersen predicted it will be "a great experience for the young men."
True, if you don't mind playing in temperatures in the 30s, in a place that's as exciting as, well, a baked potato.
Still, what do they care? Normally at this time of year they're working at room temperature, watching games from a couch.
Potato Bowl it is.
Chives and sour cream not included.
So the Jake Heaps era is over.
No Heisman award, no national championship and no passing records – at least at BYU.
Who knew when he said he loved independence he was talking about himself?
THE FIRE WITHIN
State and city officials in Utah say they are planning a ceremony in February to commemorate the 10-year anniversary of the 2002 Olympics.
Former Olympians such as Sara Hughes and Derek Parra have been invited to attend. Also invited is presidential consideration Mitt Romney, who headed up the 2002 Games.
Sources say Romney and wife Ann are planning to challenge Newt and Callista Gingrich to an ice dancing stare-off, to determine the Republican nominee..
A BEAUTIFUL NOISE
Concert promoters recently announced Neil Diamond's North American concert tour will stop at Rio Tinto Stadium on July 28, 2012.
No word on whether he plans to dedicate "Done Too Soon" to Real Salt Lake's 2011 season.
Turkish basketball club Besiktas held a ceremony recently to retire Deron Williams' jersey.
After just six games, the club decided to hoist Williams' number to the rafters.
Sources say the Nets are planning the same, right after D-Will leaves for Dallas as a free agent.
Seventy-something former CFL players Joe Kapp and Angelo Mosca got into a brawl at a football luncheon, last week.
Rock On sources say it had something to do with late hits, on-field taunts and cursing into one another's Life Alert.
TIMING IS ALL
Akron football coach Rob Ianello was fired via cell phone as he was driving to his mother's funeral.
Apparently they were hoping to catch him after his house caught on fire and his dog died, but since those never happened, they just had to make do.
email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: therockmonster Facebook: Rockmonster Unplugged
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Mike Sorensen: Manning's storybook ending...
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 66
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 29
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22