Farmington native Daniel Summerhays will be going back to the PGA Tour again next year.
The two-time Utah State Amateur champion and former BYU golfer survived the grueling six-day 108-hole PGA Qualifying Tournament with just two strokes to spare.
Summerhays fired a final-round 71 to finish at 10-under par 422. A score of 424 was required to earn exempt status for next year's PGA Tour, which begins in January.
In Monday's final round at PGA West in La Quinta, Calif., Summerhays went out in 3-under-par 33 on the front nine to get to 12-under for the tournament. Two bogeys, including one at the final hole, couldn't keep him from finishing in the top 25.
The 28-year-old Summerhays was a rookie on the PGA Tour in 2010 after finishing fifth on the Nationwide Tour money list in 2009.
He played in 29 tournaments and made the cut just eight times, earning $301,899 and finishing 162nd on the official money list. Because he didn't finish in the top 125, he had to go back to Q-school to earn his card again for next year.
Another ex-BYU golfer, Dean Wilson, failed in his quest to keep his exempt status on the Tour as he shot a 74 Monday, his third straight over-par round. That left him at even-par 432 in a tie for 93rd place, eight shots off the qualifying number. The 41-year-old Wilson has been a regular since earning his PGA card in 2002.
Other former PGA regulars who failed to earn their PGA cards included David Duval, Jason Gore, Boo Weekley, Lee Janzen, Bob May and Brett Wetterich.
The tournament medalist was Brendon Todd, who won the 2008 Nationwide Utah Championship. He earned $50,000 for his Q-School triumph. Todd's final-round 68 gave him a 17-under-par 415 total, one shot better than Stephen Gangluff. Bobby Gates and 20-year-old Seung-yul Noh tied for third at 417.
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Former BYU Cougar and returned missionary...
- Steve Nash fans among Utah Jazz saddened by...
- Utah-USC: Battle of ranked teams at...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz wrap up preseason play at 5-3...
- Who's in? Breaking down the high school...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 111
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 61
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 52
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 33
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 26
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21