College football: Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, Trent Richardson lead group of Heisman finalists
NEW YORK — Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Trent Richardson, Tyrann Mathieu and Montee Ball are the Heisman Trophy finalists.
The group, announced Monday on ESPN, includes the preseason favorite — Stanford quarterback Luck — and at least one player, Mathieu, who was low profile when the season began.
Luck is a finalist for the second straight season, while the other QB on the list, Griffin, is the first Baylor player to get an invitation to the Heisman dinner in New York.
Richardson is the second Alabama running back to be a finalist in the last three years. Former teammate Mark Ingram won the Heisman in 2009.
Ball has scored 38 touchdowns for Wisconsin and needs one more to match Barry Sanders' NCAA record.
Mathieu, the LSU defensive back nicknamed Honey Badger, has made numerous game-changing plays for the top-ranked Tigers.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 95
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 78
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 53
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 44
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 29
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26