College football: Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, Trent Richardson lead group of Heisman finalists
NEW YORK — Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Trent Richardson, Tyrann Mathieu and Montee Ball are the Heisman Trophy finalists.
The group, announced Monday on ESPN, includes the preseason favorite — Stanford quarterback Luck — and at least one player, Mathieu, who was low profile when the season began.
Luck is a finalist for the second straight season, while the other QB on the list, Griffin, is the first Baylor player to get an invitation to the Heisman dinner in New York.
Richardson is the second Alabama running back to be a finalist in the last three years. Former teammate Mark Ingram won the Heisman in 2009.
Ball has scored 38 touchdowns for Wisconsin and needs one more to match Barry Sanders' NCAA record.
Mathieu, the LSU defensive back nicknamed Honey Badger, has made numerous game-changing plays for the top-ranked Tigers.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot... 22