College football: Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, Trent Richardson lead group of Heisman finalists
NEW YORK — Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Trent Richardson, Tyrann Mathieu and Montee Ball are the Heisman Trophy finalists.
The group, announced Monday on ESPN, includes the preseason favorite — Stanford quarterback Luck — and at least one player, Mathieu, who was low profile when the season began.
Luck is a finalist for the second straight season, while the other QB on the list, Griffin, is the first Baylor player to get an invitation to the Heisman dinner in New York.
Richardson is the second Alabama running back to be a finalist in the last three years. Former teammate Mark Ingram won the Heisman in 2009.
Ball has scored 38 touchdowns for Wisconsin and needs one more to match Barry Sanders' NCAA record.
Mathieu, the LSU defensive back nicknamed Honey Badger, has made numerous game-changing plays for the top-ranked Tigers.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28