Chris O'Meara, Associated Press
MIAMI — West Virginia has been selected to play Clemson in the Orange Bowl.
It's the first trip to the game for the Mountaineers, who are trying to win their third Bowl Championship Series contest in the last seven years. West Virginia shared the Big East championship after ending the season with three victories by a combined seven points, trailing in the fourth quarter every time.
Clemson automatically qualified for the Orange Bowl by beating Virginia Tech for the Atlantic Coast Conference title on Saturday night. Clemson last appeared in the Orange Bowl after the 1981 season.
It's the second meeting between the schools. Clemson topped West Virginia in the 1989 Gator Bowl.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Amy Donaldson: South Jordan mom eyes Boston...
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong approach for...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Meet the 21 Utah ties on the NFL playoff rosters
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 38
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point... 15
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory... 13