Chris O'Meara, Associated Press
MIAMI — West Virginia has been selected to play Clemson in the Orange Bowl.
It's the first trip to the game for the Mountaineers, who are trying to win their third Bowl Championship Series contest in the last seven years. West Virginia shared the Big East championship after ending the season with three victories by a combined seven points, trailing in the fourth quarter every time.
Clemson automatically qualified for the Orange Bowl by beating Virginia Tech for the Atlantic Coast Conference title on Saturday night. Clemson last appeared in the Orange Bowl after the 1981 season.
It's the second meeting between the schools. Clemson topped West Virginia in the 1989 Gator Bowl.
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 100
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 7