Chris O'Meara, Associated Press
MIAMI — West Virginia has been selected to play Clemson in the Orange Bowl.
It's the first trip to the game for the Mountaineers, who are trying to win their third Bowl Championship Series contest in the last seven years. West Virginia shared the Big East championship after ending the season with three victories by a combined seven points, trailing in the fourth quarter every time.
Clemson automatically qualified for the Orange Bowl by beating Virginia Tech for the Atlantic Coast Conference title on Saturday night. Clemson last appeared in the Orange Bowl after the 1981 season.
It's the second meeting between the schools. Clemson topped West Virginia in the 1989 Gator Bowl.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33