Utah Utes football: Utes set to play Georgia Tech in Sun Bowl
SALT LAKE CITY — Here comes the Sun.
For the first time since 1939, the University of Utah will play in the Sun Bowl game. The Utes (7-5) have accepted an invitation to represent the Pac-12 in the New Year's Eve contest (noon, CBS) in El Paso, Texas. They'll face Georgia Tech (8-4) of the Atlantic Coast Conference.
It'll be a rematch of the 2005 Emerald Bowl in San Francisco, where Utah topped Georgia Tech by a score of 38-10.
The Utes are going bowling for the ninth consecutive season, every year under head coaches Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittingham. They're 8-1 in those bowl games. The lone loss was a 26-3 setback to Boise State in the 2010 MAACO Bowl Las Vegas.
Utah's bowl history, which will soon include a 17th appearance, began with a 26-0 win over New Mexico in the Sun Bowl on Jan. 1, 1939.
2011 Sun Bowl
Utah (7-5) vs. Georgia Tech (8-4)
Saturday, Dec. 31, noon
El Paso, Texas
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26