Utah Utes football: Utes set to play Georgia Tech in Sun Bowl
SALT LAKE CITY — Here comes the Sun.
For the first time since 1939, the University of Utah will play in the Sun Bowl game. The Utes (7-5) have accepted an invitation to represent the Pac-12 in the New Year's Eve contest (noon, CBS) in El Paso, Texas. They'll face Georgia Tech (8-4) of the Atlantic Coast Conference.
It'll be a rematch of the 2005 Emerald Bowl in San Francisco, where Utah topped Georgia Tech by a score of 38-10.
The Utes are going bowling for the ninth consecutive season, every year under head coaches Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittingham. They're 8-1 in those bowl games. The lone loss was a 26-3 setback to Boise State in the 2010 MAACO Bowl Las Vegas.
Utah's bowl history, which will soon include a 17th appearance, began with a 26-0 win over New Mexico in the Sun Bowl on Jan. 1, 1939.
2011 Sun Bowl
Utah (7-5) vs. Georgia Tech (8-4)
Saturday, Dec. 31, noon
El Paso, Texas
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- High school All-Sports awards: Davis, Maple...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 45
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 33
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 19
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7