SALT LAKE CITY — Here comes the Sun.
For the first time since 1939, the University of Utah will play in the Sun Bowl game. The Utes (7-5) have accepted an invitation to represent the Pac-12 in the New Year's Eve contest (noon, CBS) in El Paso, Texas. They'll face Georgia Tech (8-4) of the Atlantic Coast Conference.
It'll be a rematch of the 2005 Emerald Bowl in San Francisco, where Utah topped Georgia Tech by a score of 38-10.
The Utes are going bowling for the ninth consecutive season, every year under head coaches Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittingham. They're 8-1 in those bowl games. The lone loss was a 26-3 setback to Boise State in the 2010 MAACO Bowl Las Vegas.
Utah's bowl history, which will soon include a 17th appearance, began with a 26-0 win over New Mexico in the Sun Bowl on Jan. 1, 1939.
2011 Sun Bowl
Utah (7-5) vs. Georgia Tech (8-4)
Saturday, Dec. 31, noon
El Paso, Texas
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Utah Jazz: Better game but same losing result...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors, Marvin Williams...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 99
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 38
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 35
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 33
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27