Utah Utes football: Utes set to play Georgia Tech in Sun Bowl
SALT LAKE CITY — Here comes the Sun.
For the first time since 1939, the University of Utah will play in the Sun Bowl game. The Utes (7-5) have accepted an invitation to represent the Pac-12 in the New Year's Eve contest (noon, CBS) in El Paso, Texas. They'll face Georgia Tech (8-4) of the Atlantic Coast Conference.
It'll be a rematch of the 2005 Emerald Bowl in San Francisco, where Utah topped Georgia Tech by a score of 38-10.
The Utes are going bowling for the ninth consecutive season, every year under head coaches Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittingham. They're 8-1 in those bowl games. The lone loss was a 26-3 setback to Boise State in the 2010 MAACO Bowl Las Vegas.
Utah's bowl history, which will soon include a 17th appearance, began with a 26-0 win over New Mexico in the Sun Bowl on Jan. 1, 1939.
2011 Sun Bowl
Utah (7-5) vs. Georgia Tech (8-4)
Saturday, Dec. 31, noon
El Paso, Texas
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 76
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 63
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37