Utah Utes football: Utes set to play Georgia Tech in Sun Bowl
SALT LAKE CITY — Here comes the Sun.
For the first time since 1939, the University of Utah will play in the Sun Bowl game. The Utes (7-5) have accepted an invitation to represent the Pac-12 in the New Year's Eve contest (noon, CBS) in El Paso, Texas. They'll face Georgia Tech (8-4) of the Atlantic Coast Conference.
It'll be a rematch of the 2005 Emerald Bowl in San Francisco, where Utah topped Georgia Tech by a score of 38-10.
The Utes are going bowling for the ninth consecutive season, every year under head coaches Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittingham. They're 8-1 in those bowl games. The lone loss was a 26-3 setback to Boise State in the 2010 MAACO Bowl Las Vegas.
Utah's bowl history, which will soon include a 17th appearance, began with a 26-0 win over New Mexico in the Sun Bowl on Jan. 1, 1939.
2011 Sun Bowl
Utah (7-5) vs. Georgia Tech (8-4)
Saturday, Dec. 31, noon
El Paso, Texas
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US Olympic...
- Federer out to turn around frustrating season...
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- National champion Sam Mikulak leads US men's...
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 168
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 74
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 47
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 43
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 34
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20