But each of the past two years, Oklahoma came in with a lower ranking and still found a way to derail a couple of the best teams in Oklahoma State history — first dashing any hopes of a BCS at-large berth two years ago and then taking away the Cowboys' shot at the Big 12 championship last season.
With all that history on their side, the Sooners came out looking to intimidate.
After coming onto the field, players ran into the west end zone for a pregame prayer and then lingered after it was over — right outside the gate where the Cowboys were getting ready to run out. Coaches, game officials and security officers made them get out of the way.
The Sooners couldn't back up the pregame bluster, though.
Weeden's 53-yard pass to Tracy Moore set up Jeremy Smith's 9-yard touchdown run, and the Cowboys defense — which entered the game ranked 107th out of 120 teams in the nation — never needed any more than that.
Brodrick Brown outfought Jaz Reynolds to pick off Jones' pass in the end zone and prevent an Oklahoma score, setting the tone for a dominant defensive effort.
"When we came out, we were all fired up," defensive end Frank Alexander said. "But a couple bad plays happened and we lost our edge, I guess."
With a win, Oklahoma would have won a three-way tiebreaker with Oklahoma State and Kansas State for the Big 12 title and the conference's automatic BCS bid.
"They obviously don't need to be worrying about sharing the trophy with anybody," Stoops said. "They played an excellent game and deserved and won a big game."
The Sooners got their only points on Michael Hunnicutt's 48-yard field goal at the end of the first half and Blake Bell's 28-yard TD scamper with 2:25 left in the game.
"It was a bad game all around," fullback Trey Millard said. "We got beat everywhere."
- Cougars set to face Aggie QB Keeton in his...
- Utah State students plan a 'beard out' for...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- Brighton four-star recruit Sione Lund commits...
- Stafford throws 5 TDs, BYU alum Ansah picks...
- BYU's bowl destination — Las Vegas or...
- Utah Jazz: Hayward finally has breakout game...
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the finale...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 58
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 51
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 42
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 31
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 28
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 27