David Tulis, Associated Press
NEW YORK — Newt Gingrich is praising GOP presidential rival Herman Cain for bringing optimism and big ideas to the 2012 campaign.
Gingrich, a former House speaker, made his comments at a tea party rally on New York's Staten Island, not long after Cain said he was suspending his campaign.
Polls show that Gingrich's candidacy has surged in recent weeks, with many showing him topping the Republican field.
Gingrich refused to say the race has come down to a two-man contest with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney just a month before the first vote, in Iowa.
Gingrich says any of the Republicans could rebound before the Iowa caucuses, just as he did after his campaign almost collapsed last summer.
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says violated its...
- Officer charged with murder in teen's death;...
- Group raised suspicions before 5 were shot at...
- Minneapolis police say 5 shot near protest scene
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back waterboarding
- They put the giving in Thanksgiving
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 49
- Trump says he saw people celebrating... 38
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 29
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back... 25
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to... 23
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says... 15
- Terrorism propaganda assignment causes... 15
- New school lunch regulations could turn... 12