NEW YORK — Fewer than 10 percent of kidney patients undergo dialysis at home even though the treatment costs less and may be more effective at prolonging life, a new investigation has found.
An estimated 382,000 people are receiving kidney dialysis nationwide, but only 35,000 are on one of the two forms of home-based dialysis, say doctors in a special American Journal of Kidney Diseases report.
Most patients choose to undergo dialysis in a center, either a freestanding facility or one connected with a medical center.
Home dialysis methods have existed for decades, doctors said, but have not been widely pursued or publicized. One is known as home hemodialysis; the other, peritoneal dialysis.
Home hemodialysis is performed almost identically to dialysis in a center. Peritoneal dialysis uses a solution that is self-infused into the abdomen that flushes out excess fluid and toxins. Both can be performed daily.
The report revealed three-quarters of newly diagnosed patients were unaware of those options.
"Home hemodialysis isn't new, it has been around since the 1970s, but it fell off the radar after dialysis centers wound up on just about every other corner," said Dr. Beth Piraino, one of the study's senior authors and president-elect of the National Kidney Foundation.
Undergoing dialysis in a center costs about $70,000 a year, Piraino said Friday, but undergoing the procedure at home can shave $20,000 or more off annual costs, she said.
Federal and private insurers, Piraino added, cover costs associated with home care.
In Hong Kong, Piraino said, all patients undergo home hemodialysis. Not only is life expectancy longer, she said, patients have fewer complications than their U.S. counterparts.
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target over...
- The effects of spanking children may surprise...
- Erin Stewart: How I degrade myself as a mom...
- A family business: Bryce Canyon's historic...
- UTubers: Kalani Sitake, Al Fox Carraway...
- UTubers: Nathan Pacheco performs ‘Bring...
- The Clean Cut: Emotional reaction of boy with...
- How social media can make us question our...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target... 63
- Waiting on 'young invincibles' 40
- The benefits some families see from... 15
- Erin Stewart: How I degrade myself as a... 14
- The effects of spanking children may... 11
- Suicide rates spike in adolescent... 10
- Power of one: BYU grad hopes to help... 8
- Book review: ‘Book of Mormon:... 4