Whether Nelson will start at QB today will be his call
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
"Everything shows that physically he should be able to play," Cougar offensive coordinator Brandon Doman said earlier this week. "We'll wait for the last-minute word from the doctors. Ultimately, it will be Riley's decision, because you can't really get a percentage of risk in this situation. … Ultimately it's up to him. I would suspect he'll want to play."
While Doman is concerned about Nelson's health, he is confident the junior QB will be OK.
"There are a lot of players who have suffered that injury and have been fine. You can play with it," he said. "It's just pain tolerance and mental and physical toughness. … I told Riley that he does not have to play because I talk about being mentally tough. This has nothing to do with that. This has everything to do with being smart and following your heart and doing the right thing. If he plays, it will be because he wanted to."
BYU trainer Kevin Morris said he ordered a special shirt that will protect Nelson's lungs and ribs.
"Whether it's Riley or Jake, either way, both guys are great athletes, great quarterbacks, and have shown that they're able to lead the team throughout this season," he said. "Either way, I think we're going to be fine. I think our team is behind them."
NEW ROLE: BYU sophomore tight end Kaneakua Friel finds himself a starter now that Richard Wilson and Austin Holt have gone down with season-ending knee injuries. The Cougars will rely heavily on Friel in their final two games.
"My role has increased a little," Friel said. "There's not much depth right now. I just want to keep my body healthy. I want to make sure I don't get hurt, and execute with the chance I've been given."
HOMECOMING: Friel, who hails from Kaneohe, Hawaii, was scheduled to speak at the team fireside Friday night.
"Some members of my family aren't members (of the LDS Church), so I'm taking the opportunity to speak at the fireside," he said earlier this week. "Hopefully I'll be able to share my story a little bit more with them and it will help them be touched by the message that we share as part of BYU football as a message of Christ."
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Jimmer & Jimbo: As one pursues a steady role,...
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Presto! Utah Jazz pull a magical 2nd win out...
- Brad Rock: Utes now look at bowl pairing from...
- Lone Peak guard Frank Jackson drops...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 60
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 39
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31