The USOC declined comment, though a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press the federation is following the issue. The person spoke to The AP on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.
Two high-profile Olympic sports have dealt with allegations of child sex abuse in the past two years.
In 2010, USA Swimming was hit by a number of sex-abuse allegations by coaches. More recently, 1984 Olympic gymnastics coach Don Peters was banned for life by USA Gymnastics after being accused of sexually abusing two athletes in the 1980s.
Over the past 18 months, the USOC has increased efforts to ensure safe environments for children who participate in Olympic sports.
The federation adopted a task force that encouraged the national governing bodies to adopt standardized policies to prevent abuse. It also hired an attorney to serve as the director of ethics and safe sport.
Boeheim was on the U.S. coaching staff in 1990 and returned in 2006.
Because Boeheim does not fall under the USOC's umbrella until the Olympic team is officially named, the USOC does not consider his status on USA Basketball to currently be its issue.
Meanwhile, USA Basketball officials say the federal investigation of Fine doesn't affect Boeheim's status in their organization, but that they, too, continue to keep an eye on developments.
AP National Writer Eddie Pells in Denver contributed to this report.
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- Obama administration will allow green energy...
- Former South African President Nelson Mandela...
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 105
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 30
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 28
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Research: Native American genes have... 23
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23