The USOC declined comment, though a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press the federation is following the issue. The person spoke to The AP on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.
Two high-profile Olympic sports have dealt with allegations of child sex abuse in the past two years.
In 2010, USA Swimming was hit by a number of sex-abuse allegations by coaches. More recently, 1984 Olympic gymnastics coach Don Peters was banned for life by USA Gymnastics after being accused of sexually abusing two athletes in the 1980s.
Over the past 18 months, the USOC has increased efforts to ensure safe environments for children who participate in Olympic sports.
The federation adopted a task force that encouraged the national governing bodies to adopt standardized policies to prevent abuse. It also hired an attorney to serve as the director of ethics and safe sport.
Boeheim was on the U.S. coaching staff in 1990 and returned in 2006.
Because Boeheim does not fall under the USOC's umbrella until the Olympic team is officially named, the USOC does not consider his status on USA Basketball to currently be its issue.
Meanwhile, USA Basketball officials say the federal investigation of Fine doesn't affect Boeheim's status in their organization, but that they, too, continue to keep an eye on developments.
AP National Writer Eddie Pells in Denver contributed to this report.
- From 0.3 to 81.1: What percentage of each...
- Small town residents: Chevron pizza 'scandal'...
- Half of millennials more likely to lean...
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- 23 Mormon missionaries in Ukraine transferred...
- Obama administration allows 2-year extension...
- Rutgers faculty council pushes for school to...
- Russian President Vladimir Putin declares...
- No longer loyal to Boy Scouts of... 51
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 28
- Putin: Russia has right to use force in... 21
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 21
- Half of millennials more likely to lean... 12
- Obama appeals to Democrats in 2015... 11
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 11
- Ukrainian software professionals... 10