ROCK HILL, S.C. — His campaign all but over, Herman Cain said Friday he would make an announcement Saturday in Atlanta about the future of his White House bid.
Cain, in a speech to supporters in South Carolina, didn't disclose whether he would drop out of the race for the GOP nomination after this week's allegation that he had a 13-year-long extramarital affair. He told supporters simply to stay tuned.
"Nobody's going to make me make that prematurely," Cain said. "That's all there is to it."
It's hard to see how he goes forward. His poll numbers have dropped dramatically, backers are fleeing and even the candidate himself has acknowledged that fundraising has suffered since Ginger White publicly contended the two had had a long-running affair.
The embattled candidate was heading home to Georgia after the South Carolina event to meet with his wife face to face for the first time since White stepped forward this week.
Cain has denied the allegation, even as he has acknowledged what he called a friendship with the woman that included payments for what he said was financial hardship. He has said his wife didn't know of his connection to White.
"My wife and family comes first. I've got to take that into consideration," Cain told the crowd in South Carolina. "I don't doubt the support that I have. Just look at the people who are here."
"I'm on this journey for a reason. I don't look back," Cain added.
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- Obama administration will allow green energy...
- 7 in 10 will need long-term care, ready or not
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 105
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 31
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 28
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Research: Native American genes have... 23
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- Obama declares health care law is... 21