The defensive end led Manti to the 2A state title by racking up a team-high 84 tackles and a team-high six sacks.
"Teams had a bear of a time blocking him, even with the double team," said Meacham, who said Austad's ability to cover the wide side of the field was just as impressive as his ability to beat two linemen on a pass rush.
Max Lewis, Duchesne
Over the course of the 2011 season, Duchesne put together one of the most dominant offensive and defensive displays in 1A in recent memory.
Offensively, the team rushed for 3,853 yards and 54 touchdowns in averaging 42.3 ppg. On the other side of the ball the Eagles were a stingy bunch that only allowed 8.6 ppg.
While standouts like Braiden Despain, Macoy Young and Shiaba Allen grabbed most of the headlines for their offensive exploits, lineman Max Lewis was the unsung hero that helped make it all possible.
"Offensive side, he was the reason those guys were blowing those holes open. He's not only making that block, but he's getting downfield and making more blocks," said Duchesne coach Billy Hoopes. "He worked the hardest out of anybody there, and he never got that much credit."
Lewis' emergence as one of the best players in 1A is a credit to his tremendous work ethic.
As a sophomore, Lewis was a middle-of-the-pack football player in his age group. He refused to be average though and just kept working his tail off. The result was a state championship in football this year, in addition to individual state titles in wrestling and the shot put last school year.
"What you see is what you get. He's a hard worker and a pretty quiet guy," said Hoopes.
In addition to being a great offensive tackle, Lewis was a great defensive tackle as well, recording 57 tackles and 7.5 sacks.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- A Super Bowl 1st-timer, Utah native Sealver...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 67
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 39
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 34
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 32
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 30
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 30
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28