Jim Cole, Associated Press
ATLANTA — Herman Cain says his wife did not know about his friendship with a woman who says the two had an affair — or that he was providing her with money.
In an interview Thursday with the New Hampshire Union Leader, the Republican presidential hopeful said he gave Ginger White money to help her with "month-to-month bills and expenses" without telling his wife.
Cain said his wife, Gloria, did not know about any of that until White alleged an affair that lasted 13 years.
Cain has denied a sexual relationship and said he and White were only friends. He said he helped White pay her bills because she was out of work.
He described himself as "soft-hearted" and said White is not the only friend he has helped financially.
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- It's not just young people — seniors...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- White House intruder identified as Army...
- Ex-stepson: White House intruder meant no harm
- Decision on Yellowstone bison quarantine...
- Who wins Senate control? Nov. 4 might not decide
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 7
- It's not just young people —... 6
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5