College football notebook: 1st Penn State abuse suit comes from new accuser
Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky sexually abused a boy more than 100 times and threatened to harm his family to keep him quiet, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday by a new accuser who is not part of the criminal case.
The 29-year-old, identified only as John Doe, had never told anyone about the abuse he claims he suffered until Sandusky was charged this month with abusing other boys. His lawyer said he filed a complaint with law enforcement on Tuesday. He became the first plaintiff to file suit in the Penn State child sex abuse scandal a day later.
Sandusky has acknowledged that he showered with boys but denied molesting them. His lawyer did not immediately return a message about the lawsuit.
The lawsuit claims Sandusky abused the boy from 1992, when the boy was 10, until 1996 in encounters at the coach's State College home, in a Penn State locker room and on trips, including to a bowl game. The account echoes a grand jury's description of trips, gifts and attention lavished on other boys.
"I am hurting and have been for a long time because of what happened, but feel now even more tormented that I have learned of so many other kids were abused after me," the plaintiff said in a handwritten statement his lawyer read aloud at a news conference.
The lawsuit seeks tens of thousands of dollars and names Sandusky, the university and Sandusky's The Second Mile charity as defendants. The man says he knew the coach through the charity, which Sandusky founded in 1977, ostensibly to help disadvantaged children in central Pennsylvania.
LEACH HIRED BY WASHINGTON STATE: Mike Leach is bringing his high-powered passing offense — and swashbuckling style — to long-dormant Washington State.
The school said Wednesday that the former Texas Tech coach agreed in principle to a five-year contract. He will be introduced Tuesday at a news conference in Pullman.
Leach will be paid a base annual salary of $2 million, with supplemental income of $250,000 a year, plus performance incentives, Athletic Director Bill Moos said.
UCLA GETS BOWL WAIVER: The NCAA has decided UCLA can accept a bowl invitation even if the Bruins lose the Pac-12 title game to drop to 6-7.
The NCAA approved UCLA's bowl waiver petition on Wednesday, clearing the Bruins (6-6, 5-4 Pac-12) for the postseason before they play in Friday's conference championship game at Oregon.
UCLA is a 31-point underdog against the powerful Ducks. The Bruins fired coach Rick Neuheisel following last weekend's 50-0 loss to No. 9 Southern California.
Neuheisel will coach the Bruins at Oregon, but offensive coordinator Mike Johnson will take over if the Bruins are selected by a bowl.
UCLA has reached just one bowl game in the past three seasons, and athletic director Dan Guerrero says he wants to reward the Bruins' 18 seniors by going to a bowl even while the program is in upheaval.
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Ranking the best college running backs...
- You don't know Jack (Cooley)? Learn about...
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Jazz notes: Trey Lyles still not with team...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 103
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 102
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 32
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 25
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 24