Farmington's Daniel Summerhays fired an 8-under-par 64 Wednesday and is tied for first in the PGA Tour Final Stage Qualifying Tournament at PGA West in La Quinta, Calif.
Summerhays is tied with Will Claxton at 64 in the 172-player field and four players, Vaughn Taylor, William McGirt, Sang-Moon Bee and Billy Hurley are tied a stroke back at 65. The top 25 finishers in the six-round tournament will earn their PGA cards for 2012.
Summerhays lost his PGA playing status after failing to finish in the Top 125 on the money list in 2011, his first full year on the PGA Tour. Playing the TPC Stadium Course Wednesday, he made nine birdies and a single bogey, at No. 13.
Former BYU golfer and Utah Open champion Dean Wilson is tied for 10th place after shooting a 67 on the Nicklaus Tournament Course. Wilson, an eight-year veteran of the PGA Tour, shot a 32 on the front nine and was 6-under before making his only bogey of the day at No. 17.
Summerhays was the medalist at the second stage qualifyng tournament at Murrieta, Calif. in mid-November.
Among the golfers with local ties who failed to make it past the second stage of the qualifying were Lehi's Tony Finau, Sandy's Steve Schneiter and St. George's Nick Killpack.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 121
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 33
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20