"We don't have a lot of great shooters," he said. "Jiggy (Watkins) is scoring a large majority of our points and he's not a 3-point shooter. You look at a UMass team that shoots 20 percent and one guy went 5 for 5 and another 4 for 6. Those add up and build that negative ratio. It's defense and the fact that we don't make a lot of threes as a team. We're going to have to improve on that."
Hines has the most 3-pointers with 11 in 31 attempts, while Dijon Farr has the best percentage with 2 of 3.
UTE NOTES: After the Saturday afternoon game at Fresno State (2 p.m.), the Utes return home for four home games over a two-week stretch with games against Cal State Fullerton, BYU, Idaho State and Portland. … Surprisingly, the height-challenged Utes are outrebounding their opponents this year 32.3 to 32.2. …Josh Watkins not only leads the Utes in scoring at 18.8 points per game and in assists at 4.8 per game, but he is second in the Pac-12 in both categories. … In six games, the Utes have used four different starting lineups. Krystkowiak said he'll likely continue with the same one he used the last two games with Watkins and Hines at guards, Blake Wilkinson and Cedric Martin at forwards and Washburn at center.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27