During the Utes' recent football game vs. Colorado, I suffered from extreme disappointment in the way Utah played and lost. This feeling persisted through the evening.
On Saturday, I decided to look at this season as a whole and put this game in its proper perspective. So what have the Utes accomplished this year? They joined a real, big-time college football conference, a first for them. They beat BYU 54-10.
Later, when they were at rock bottom, they beat four Pac-12 teams in a row, four formidable opponents and came within two missed field goals of qualifying for the Pac-12 inaugural championship game. Therefore, they won't be going to the Rose Bowl (in August nobody really thought they would anyway). They will, however, represent the Pac-12 in a bowl game, their ninth in a row. Congratulations and thanks to the Utes for a great season.
Elmer C. Newman
- In our opinion: The breach between mass...
- David Blankenhorn: Overcoming the blindness...
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought
- My view: Misinterpretation of Second...
- Drew Clark: Deeply felt religious faith, of...
- Letter: Excess political science
- Letter: 'Kate's Law'
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Speaker of...
- My view: Misinterpretation of Second... 88
- In our opinion: The breach between mass... 54
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum... 51
- Letter: Greater security 51
- Letter: Our French Revolution 30
- Letter: Excess political science 30
- In our opinion: Suspended Alaskan oil... 26
- Letter: Kill off expansion 25