During the Utes' recent football game vs. Colorado, I suffered from extreme disappointment in the way Utah played and lost. This feeling persisted through the evening.
On Saturday, I decided to look at this season as a whole and put this game in its proper perspective. So what have the Utes accomplished this year? They joined a real, big-time college football conference, a first for them. They beat BYU 54-10.
Later, when they were at rock bottom, they beat four Pac-12 teams in a row, four formidable opponents and came within two missed field goals of qualifying for the Pac-12 inaugural championship game. Therefore, they won't be going to the Rose Bowl (in August nobody really thought they would anyway). They will, however, represent the Pac-12 in a bowl game, their ninth in a row. Congratulations and thanks to the Utes for a great season.
Elmer C. Newman
- In our opinion: Tragedy in Aleppo should...
- My view: Waste, fraud in education hammering...
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the bathroom
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, politics and...
- Letter: Where's the action?
- Letter: BYU in a conference?
- Jay Evensen: Utah's election is clear as mud
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter moment:...
- My view: A de-sexed society is a... 68
- Orrin Hatch: My meeting with Supreme... 45
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter... 43
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the... 37
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, politics... 22
- In our opinion: Not all economic... 20
- Letter: Trump's delegate count 19
- Letter: Where's the action? 17