During the Utes' recent football game vs. Colorado, I suffered from extreme disappointment in the way Utah played and lost. This feeling persisted through the evening.
On Saturday, I decided to look at this season as a whole and put this game in its proper perspective. So what have the Utes accomplished this year? They joined a real, big-time college football conference, a first for them. They beat BYU 54-10.
Later, when they were at rock bottom, they beat four Pac-12 teams in a row, four formidable opponents and came within two missed field goals of qualifying for the Pac-12 inaugural championship game. Therefore, they won't be going to the Rose Bowl (in August nobody really thought they would anyway). They will, however, represent the Pac-12 in a bowl game, their ninth in a row. Congratulations and thanks to the Utes for a great season.
Elmer C. Newman
- How America feels about Mitt Romney right now
- Dan Liljenquist: Obamacare was a rude...
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, ride sharing is...
- Letter: Growing party divide
- In our opinion: 70 mph — driving at the...
- In our opinion: Smoking aside, Utah can still...
- Lois M. Collins: Daddy-daughter duo turn trip...
- Michael Gerson: Obama’s executive order...
- In our opinion: Keystone Pipeline... 67
- Letter: Where jobs come from 64
- Dan Liljenquist: Obamacare was a rude... 53
- Letter: Growing party divide 46
- In our opinion: When it comes to... 40
- How America feels about Mitt Romney... 35
- Letter: Speed limit increase 26
- Robert Bennett: It looks to be a good... 23