Brad Rock: Rock on: Utah basketball, BYU and the Big East
Larry Krystkowiak is working to rebuild Utah's basketball program, but so far the losses just keep coming.
The Utes fell by 21 to Boise State, which was picked to finished last in the Mountain West.
"Apparently," Krystko told reporters, "the Mountain West Conference is 20 points better than the Pac-12."
That must mean the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (Adams State) is one point better than the Pac-12, the Big Sky (Montana State) six points better, the Ivy League (Harvard) 28 points better and the Big South (UNC-Ashville) 22 points better.
Small conference teams actually beat big conference teams all the time. This year, UCLA lost to Middle Tennessee State, Pitt lost to Long Beach, West Virginia fell to Kent State and South Carolina lost to Elon.
The good news for basketball is that, unlike football, it all gets sorted out during March Madness. But the Utes don't need to think about March.
They just need to worry about what big, bad Cal-Fullerton might do to them.
Extra Big East
BYU and the Big East parted ways last week after negotiations on TV rights broke down.
Seems the Big East wasn't willing to let BYU keep all the broadcast rights to its home games and vice versa.
Next on the conference's wish list: San Diego State, which would make the league's boundaries cross some 3,000 miles.
Come to think of it, BYU would have been a great fit for the conference.
BYUtv is in over 200 countries and the Big East has invited teams from all of them.
A source told CBSsports.com during negotiations last week that "They (BYU) are being extremely unreasonable all of a sudden. This is one reason why they did not get into the Big 12. Their general counsel (lawyers) is a piece of work."
In that case, Rock On figures maybe it's good BYU didn't even bring up the whole beard/long hair/caffeinated drink thing.
TCU kicker Ross Evans has been charged with misdemeanor criminal mischief after allegedly kicking in the door of a North Texas apartment.
Reports said Evans was trying to retrieve a cell phone during a Nov. 8 incident.
Rock On sources say after he squarely kicked the door twice, Utah called to ask if he's available for the Sun Bowl.
email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: therockmonster Facebook: rockmonsterunplugged
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Rodney Hood, Dante Exum highlight Utah Jazz...
- Contract delay keeps Utah Jazz rookie Trey...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to be...
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven teams...
- BYU Cougars finish year with five ranked...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- You don't know Jack (Cooley)? Learn about...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 101
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 86
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 31
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 23