Brad Rock: Rock on: Utah basketball, BYU and the Big East
Larry Krystkowiak is working to rebuild Utah's basketball program, but so far the losses just keep coming.
The Utes fell by 21 to Boise State, which was picked to finished last in the Mountain West.
"Apparently," Krystko told reporters, "the Mountain West Conference is 20 points better than the Pac-12."
That must mean the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (Adams State) is one point better than the Pac-12, the Big Sky (Montana State) six points better, the Ivy League (Harvard) 28 points better and the Big South (UNC-Ashville) 22 points better.
Small conference teams actually beat big conference teams all the time. This year, UCLA lost to Middle Tennessee State, Pitt lost to Long Beach, West Virginia fell to Kent State and South Carolina lost to Elon.
The good news for basketball is that, unlike football, it all gets sorted out during March Madness. But the Utes don't need to think about March.
They just need to worry about what big, bad Cal-Fullerton might do to them.
Extra Big East
BYU and the Big East parted ways last week after negotiations on TV rights broke down.
Seems the Big East wasn't willing to let BYU keep all the broadcast rights to its home games and vice versa.
Next on the conference's wish list: San Diego State, which would make the league's boundaries cross some 3,000 miles.
Come to think of it, BYU would have been a great fit for the conference.
BYUtv is in over 200 countries and the Big East has invited teams from all of them.
A source told CBSsports.com during negotiations last week that "They (BYU) are being extremely unreasonable all of a sudden. This is one reason why they did not get into the Big 12. Their general counsel (lawyers) is a piece of work."
In that case, Rock On figures maybe it's good BYU didn't even bring up the whole beard/long hair/caffeinated drink thing.
TCU kicker Ross Evans has been charged with misdemeanor criminal mischief after allegedly kicking in the door of a North Texas apartment.
Reports said Evans was trying to retrieve a cell phone during a Nov. 8 incident.
Rock On sources say after he squarely kicked the door twice, Utah called to ask if he's available for the Sun Bowl.
email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: therockmonster Facebook: rockmonsterunplugged
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 112
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 75
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 46
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 39
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 32
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 27
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 23