Brad Rock: Rock on: Utah basketball, BYU and the Big East
Larry Krystkowiak is working to rebuild Utah's basketball program, but so far the losses just keep coming.
The Utes fell by 21 to Boise State, which was picked to finished last in the Mountain West.
"Apparently," Krystko told reporters, "the Mountain West Conference is 20 points better than the Pac-12."
That must mean the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (Adams State) is one point better than the Pac-12, the Big Sky (Montana State) six points better, the Ivy League (Harvard) 28 points better and the Big South (UNC-Ashville) 22 points better.
Small conference teams actually beat big conference teams all the time. This year, UCLA lost to Middle Tennessee State, Pitt lost to Long Beach, West Virginia fell to Kent State and South Carolina lost to Elon.
The good news for basketball is that, unlike football, it all gets sorted out during March Madness. But the Utes don't need to think about March.
They just need to worry about what big, bad Cal-Fullerton might do to them.
Extra Big East
BYU and the Big East parted ways last week after negotiations on TV rights broke down.
Seems the Big East wasn't willing to let BYU keep all the broadcast rights to its home games and vice versa.
Next on the conference's wish list: San Diego State, which would make the league's boundaries cross some 3,000 miles.
Come to think of it, BYU would have been a great fit for the conference.
BYUtv is in over 200 countries and the Big East has invited teams from all of them.
A source told CBSsports.com during negotiations last week that "They (BYU) are being extremely unreasonable all of a sudden. This is one reason why they did not get into the Big 12. Their general counsel (lawyers) is a piece of work."
In that case, Rock On figures maybe it's good BYU didn't even bring up the whole beard/long hair/caffeinated drink thing.
TCU kicker Ross Evans has been charged with misdemeanor criminal mischief after allegedly kicking in the door of a North Texas apartment.
Reports said Evans was trying to retrieve a cell phone during a Nov. 8 incident.
Rock On sources say after he squarely kicked the door twice, Utah called to ask if he's available for the Sun Bowl.
email: email@example.com Twitter: therockmonster Facebook: rockmonsterunplugged
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- Little offense as main players sit out Ute...
- Dick Harmon: Only joy for BYU's Jordan...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Kyle Whittingham just glad...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 90
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 38
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29
- Doug Robinson: Lindsey's bold moves... 22