MORAGA, Calif. — Matthew Dellavedova had 25 points and a career-high 11 assists and Rob Jones added 24 points and 12 rebounds to lead Saint Mary's to an 87-70 victory over Weber State in the championship game of the Shamrock Office Solutions Classic on Monday night.
Kenneth Walker II added 14 points and 11 rebounds for the Gaels (4-1), who beat the Wildcats for the second straight season.
Damian Lillard matched his career high with 36 points for Weber State (4-1), including a dominant stretch in the second half in which he scored 21 straight points over a 10-minute stretch. Kyle Tresnak added 17 points for the Wildcats.
The Wildcats held a 32-31 lead at halftime, but led by as many as 10 in the first half. The Gaels held a 15-10 lead with 9:45 to play when Weber State went on a 20-5 run over the next seven minutes and held a 30-20 lead. That's when Saint Mary's had a run of its own, closing the half on an 11-2 run to cut the lead to one.
But the second half was all the Gaels. Weber State led 52-50 with 12:32 to play when Saint Mary's went on a 28-8 run over the next eight minutes to seal the win.
"We played hard and executed well early on but the last 10 minutes we had some breakdowns," said WSU head coach Randy Rahe. "... We let them shoot 69 percent in the second half and outrebound us (36-23). Damian was fantastic tonight but we need to have more contributions and balance from the rest of the team."
Lillard finished his night 11-of-18 from the field, including 2-of-5 from three-point range. He was also 12-of-15 from the free throw line and led the Wildcats with three assists. It is the second time in his career he has scored 36 points, which he scored against Eastern Washington in January 2010. It marked the fourth time in his career he has scored 30 or more points in a game.
Lillard and Tresnak were named to the Shamrock Office Solutions Classic All-Tournament Team.
Weber State will return home to face San Jose State this Saturday at 7:30 p.m. at the Dee Events Center.
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Plenty of blame to go around for Cougars...
- Utah-USC: Battle of ranked teams at...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz wrap up preseason play at 5-3...
- BYU football report card: Boise State's big...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 114
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 61
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 26
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21
- BYU walk-on Carter makes most of... 19
- Beast mode: Utah running back Devontae... 18