BYU's Daily Universe takes a look at campus life for students who are not LDS

By Emily Eyring

For the Deseret News

Published: Monday, Nov. 28 2011 12:14 p.m. MST

BYU students sing a congregational hymn prior to Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles speaking at a Church Educational System broadcast for young adults at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, Sunday, March 6, 2011.

Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News

Enlarge photo»

Brigham Young University attracts thousands of 20-somethings to its campus every year. While countless recreational opportunities and the university's legendary mint brownies likely appeal to many prospective students, the school's affiliation with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is also a significant factor.

While 98 percent of BYU students are Latter-day Saints, who are familiar with the beliefs and traditions the school promotes, the other 2 percent may experience a bit of a culture shock.

This recent article on the university's newspaper site, universe.byu.edu, looks at what life for these students is like, what they appreciate about the school, and what takes time to understand.

Get The Deseret News Everywhere

Subscribe

Mobile

RSS