Weber State men's basketball: Wildcats hang on over Jacksonville State 69-61
MORAGA, Calif. — Damian Lillard scored 23 points and pulled down eight rebounds to lead Weber State to a 69-61 victory over Jacksonville State in the opening round of the Shamrock Office Solutions Classic on Sunday night.
The Wildcats advanced to Monday's championship game against Saint Mary's, which beat San Francisco State earlier Sunday.
Kyle Bullinger added 11 points and 10 rebounds for Weber State, which improved to 4-0 for the first time since the 1985-86 season.
Brian Williams scored 16 points and made five assists for the Gamecocks (2-4), who fell behind by 21 late in the first half but gradually sliced into the deficit and trailed just 64-59 with a minute left. But a 3-point try by Williams went in and out, and the Wildcats held on.
Rinaldo Mafra added 14 points for Jacksonville State, but leading scorer Tarvin Gaines was held to nine points, six under his average.
Lillard, who played just nine games last season because of a foot injury, was 7 for 14 from the field and 6 for 7 from the free-throw line.
Mafra and second-leading scorer Stephen Hall each got into early foul trouble for the Gamecocks, as a flurry of fouls put Weber State in the bonus with 10:56 remaining before halftime. Forty-eight fouls were called during the game.
Kyle Tresnak made one of two free throws to give the Wildcats a 65-59 lead with 35.4 seconds left and Williams missed a reverse layup attempt with 24 seconds remaining. Weber State made four of six free throw attempts in the waning seconds to polish things off.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 28
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 20