Manuel Balce Ceneta, file, Associated Press
WASHINGTON — Democrats are using humor to try to undermine Republican Mitt Romney, pushing a movie trailer-style ad that portrays his candidacy as "the story of two men trapped in one body."
The new ad released Monday is part of effort by Democrats to call attention to Romney's inconsistencies on a number of issues important to conservative voters as he seeks to challenge President Barack Obama next year. Democrats are trying to slow the former Massachusetts governor's progress with six weeks remaining before Republican primary voters begin picking their nominee.
The Democratic National Committee ad, called "Mitt versus Mitt," argues that Romney has changed his views on health care and abortion rights. It shows contradictory clips of Romney on the issues. "From the creator of 'I'm running for office for Pete's sake,' comes the story of two men trapped in one body," the ad says.
The DNC is running the ad in Albuquerque, N.M., Raleigh, N.C., Columbus, Ohio, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee and Washington. It directs viewers to a website, www.MittvMitt.com, with a longer version.
Romney's campaign blasted Obama's handling of the economy in return, saying the White House didn't want to have to run against Romney and "be held accountable for the many failures of this administration."
"Instead of focusing on the economy and creating jobs, President Obama and Democrats are focused on tearing down Mitt Romney," said Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul.
Democrats are trying to undercut Romney's standing in the GOP primary race as he competes with a large field of fellow Republicans, including former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and businessman Herman Cain. Democratic party leaders plan to make Romney's character and consistency core parts of their campaign against him.
The DNC ran advertising in Arizona last month hitting Romney on comments he made to a Las Vegas newspaper that the housing crisis needed to run its course and hit bottom.
- The LDS Church's call for balance between gay...
- Cumberbatch, Fry, others urge UK to pardon...
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run for...
- Romney's exit unleashes race for donors among...
- Video: Islamic State group beheads Japanese...
- List: 10 Super Bowl ads you'll be talking about
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay marriage...
- US support for satirizing religion breaks...
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run... 79
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 59
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs... 40
- The LDS Church's call for balance... 30
- Attorney General nominee picks up... 14
- House GOP moves toward possible lawsuit... 11
- Prosecutors promise thorough probe of... 11
- Keystone XL pipeline wins Senate vote... 10