WASHINGTON — Democrats are using humor to try to undermine Republican Mitt Romney, pushing a movie trailer-style ad that portrays his candidacy as a "the story of two men trapped in one body."
The new ad released Monday is part of an aggressive effort by Democrats to portray Romney as being inconsistent on a number of issues important to conservative voters as he seeks to challenge President Barack Obama next year. Democrats are trying to slow the former Massachusetts governor's progress with six weeks remaining before Republican primary voters begin picking their nominee.
The Democratic National Committee ad, called "Mitt versus Mitt," argues that Romney has changed his views on health care and abortion rights, showing contradictory clips of Romney on the issues. "From the creator of 'I'm running for office for Pete's sake,' comes the story of two men trapped in one body," the ad says.
The DNC is airing the advertisement in Albuquerque, N.M., Raleigh, N.C., Columbus, Ohio, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee and Washington. It directs viewers to a website, www.MittvMitt.com, with a longer version.
Romney has blasted Obama's handling of the economy and his campaign has accused the president of saying anything to hold onto power. Romney has tried to position himself as the Republican best positioned to take on Obama. Last week, his campaign aired an ad in New Hampshire challenging the president on the economy.
Democrats are trying to undercut Romney's standing in the GOP primary as he tries to fend off a large field of his fellow Republicans, including former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and businessman Herman Cain. Democratic party leaders plan to make Romney's character and consistency core parts of their campaign against him.
The DNC ran advertising in Arizona last month hitting Romney on comments he made to a Las Vegas newspaper, saying the housing crisis needed to run its course and hit bottom.
- Watch live at the Democratic National Convention
- Wish granted: Six-year-old boy will be...
- 2 suicide car bombs near UN offices kill 13...
- Afghan official says major offensive against...
- 2 attackers slay priest in Normandy church,...
- Letter foretold Japan rampage that killed 19...
- Historic solar flight marks first...
- Judge set to decide on $15B Volkswagen...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 84
- Hillary Clinton promises steady hand in... 56
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 45
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 43
- Obama boosts Clinton: Carry her like... 41
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 37
- Democrats and Republicans double-down... 34