Sanchez, Burress help Jets get past Bills 28-24

By Dennis Waszak Jr.

Associated Press

Published: Monday, Nov. 28 2011 12:00 a.m. MST

New York Jets wide receiver Plaxico Burress motions after getting yardage for a first down during the fourth quarter of an NFL football game against the Buffalo Bills on Sunday, Nov. 27, 2011 in East Rutherford, N.J. The Jets won 28-24.

Bill Kostroun, Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Plaxico Burress reached up for the floating football with his right arm, spun and somehow came down with it for a first down.

It was an eye-popping fourth-quarter grab that helped the New York Jets come back and beat the Buffalo Bills 28-24 on Sunday. It also might have saved their season.

"I don't know if words could do it any justice," quarterback Mark Sanchez said. "It was a big-time catch in a crucial situation."

No doubt about it. With several Jets saying they needed to win each of their last six games to reach the postseason, New York got the first one — barely. Five more to go.

"We'll take it," coach Rex Ryan said. "Wow."

Sanchez threw a career-high four touchdown passes, including the winning 16-yard score to Santonio Holmes with just over a minute remaining, as New York kept pace in the AFC playoff race.

"He's at his best," Ryan said of his quarterback, "in big moments."

This was certainly one of them.

Things appeared bleak with New York (6-5) trailing 24-21 after Dave Rayner's 53-yard field goal and facing a third-and-11 from the Bills' 36. But Sanchez connected with Burress — made fun of earlier in the game when the Bills' Stevie Johnson pantomimed shooting himself in the leg during a TD celebration — for a one-handed 18-yard grab over Justin Rogers that had everyone talking after the game.

"It was crazy," Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis said of the catch. "He's 6-foot-5 and he's got those 'Go-Go-Gadget' arms. It was probably one of the best catches I've seen in a while."

Added Bills coach Chan Gailey: "It was an unbelievable catch."

On the next play, Sanchez quickly ran a quarterback sneak — just to make sure there was no challenge, even though replays showed Burress had a clean catch. Then, Sanchez rolled out to his right to buy some time and found Holmes alone in the right corner of the end zone to give the Jets the lead with 1:01 left.

"That's who he is, he's a stud — Sanchize," Ryan said. "The first half wasn't the best half, but we knew if we just hung in there ... we have complete faith in Mark. He's done it before."

But the Jets then had to overcome a valiant comeback try by the Bills (5-6), who have lost four straight. With Buffalo driving for a winning score, a wide-open Johnson dropped a pass that would have gone for a long gain. Ryan Fitzpatrick also threw behind Johnson in the end zone with 8 seconds left that might have been a touchdown.

"It's hard," Fitzpatrick said. "They scored at the end and we had a legitimate four chances to get it in there in the end zone and unfortunately we were unable to make the plays. It hurts real bad."

Johnson had one of the Bills' touchdown catches late in the first half, and there was plenty of talk about that one, too.

The Bills wide receiver celebrated his catch by pretending to shoot himself in the thigh — clearly poking fun at Burress, who served 20 months in prison for shooting himself in the leg in a nightclub in 2008 while he was with the Giants. Johnson then mocked the "flight" celebration the Jets often use after scoring and fell to the ground, getting flagged 15 yards for excessive celebration on the play that gave Buffalo a 14-7 lead.

"I was just having fun and part of having fun ended up being a penalty and a touchdown for the Jets," Johnson said. "It was a stupid decision by myself."

New York was already going to have good field position, but Rayner flubbed a squib kick that hit off the Jets' Emanuel Cook, who recovered the ball at Buffalo's 36.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere