Mike Sorensen: Utah Utes football: U. helped Pac-12 embarrassment
BYU and Utah State could both end up a game better if they win this week at Hawaii and New Mexico State, respectively. I had BYU at 8-4 and Utah State at 6-6 with a berth in the Idaho Potato Bowl, which is still a possibility. And how I was able to correctly predict BYU would be invited to the Armed Forces Bowl I'll never know.
The one team I overestimated the most was Southern Utah, which I guessed would go 8-3, but only ended up 6-5. But I'll take solace in the fact that four of the T-Birds' five losses were by six points or less.
HEISMAN QUANDRY: I'm just one of 895 voters for the Heisman Trophy, but this year might be one of the most difficult choices, where my vote might actually make a difference.
There seem to be more solid choices than ever and one could make good arguments for a half-dozen different players.
Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck has been a frontrunner all season and led his team to a 11-1 record. The only thing that might hold him back is his team's rushing the ball as much as it did.
Alabama running back Trent Richardson has made a late run and will get a lot of support among southern voters.
Baylor's Robert Griffin III might be the most exciting player in college football and he has put up some great numbers
Houston QB Case Keenum has also put up some astonishing record-breaking numbers this year in leading his team to an undefeated season.
Then there's USC quarterback Matt Barkley who has come on strong late in the season and Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore, who has won more games than any quarterback in NCAA history.
Vote on the DeseretNews.com online poll or e-mail me you favorite. Who knows, maybe I'll take your collective advice when I vote next week.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35