Erik Kellar, Associated Press
WASHINGTON — New Hampshire's largest newspaper is endorsing Newt Gingrich, giving the former House speaker a jolt in a state that has the first presidential primary.
The New Hampshire Union Leader wrote in Sunday's editions that the former Georgia lawmaker is the choice of the conservative editorial page. The decision was published in a banner headline across the front page of the Sunday edition.
The nod had the potential to reset the contest in the state. The Union Leader has long had great sway in Republican politics in the state and the newspaper used Page One editorials and columns to help Sen. John McCain win the state's primary four years ago and start his path to the GOP's nomination.
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list,...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- US tobacco growers brace for tougher competition
- Top 15 states for education
- School police stock up on free military gear
- Wearing this one thing can help boost a...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 10
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 6