WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies (11-6) battled from behind to defeat the Alaska Aces 3-2 (13-4-1-1) in a shootout Saturday night at Maverik Center.
Trailing 2-1 entering the third period, Cody Lampl dropped the puck for Mitch Fadden in transition as he launched his sixth goal of the year past Alaska goaltender Gerald Coleman from the left circle 1:44 into the frame.
"We needed to find a way and I commend the guys for sticking together," said Utah coach Kevin Colley. "Being down a goal, it can be frustrating especially against Alaska; they don't give you anything and you have to work for everything you get.
Utah completes their season-long eight-game home stand hosting Colorado at 7 p.m. Friday. It is the first Maverik Night of the year. All tickets are $6 at the arena box office with a receipt from Maverik.
Over $11,000 was raised in the team's post-game jersey auction for the Angel's Hands Foundation.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48