CEDAR CITY — Will Weathers scored 22 points, including his team's last 11, as Troy took the lead late and held off Southern Utah for an 80-76 men's basketball victory on Saturday night.
R.J. Scott added 17 points and Alan Jones 14 for the Trojans (2-3).
Weathers gave Troy a 72-70 advantage on a three-point play with 3:07 remaining. He hit two jumpers to stretch the lead to 76-72 with 45 seconds to go, then protected it with four free throws down the stretch.
Damon Heuir had 22 points and Ramell Taylor 16 for the Thunderbirds (4-3), who scored the last 12 points of the first half to take a 42-40 halftime lead.
"We played a good team tonight, a good team with a lot of quickness," SUU coach Roger Reid said. "And they were able to make baskets when they needed a basket. We needed to hit a shot here or there, and gave up too much dribble penetration, but we gave a good effort."
Matt Massey had 12 for SUU . Ray Jones Jr. finished with nine assists, one off his career high, to go with five rebounds and five points. Jackson Stevenett had six boards to lead SUU, which outrebounded the Trojans, 40-28.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's progress...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Middle Tennessee excited about home game...
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32