West Valley City — The Alaska Aces (13-4-1-0) scored with 1:19 left in regulation and added a late empty-netter to defeat the Utah Grizzlies (10-6) 4-2 Saturday night at Maverik Center.
The Aces scored on their first shot, 2:02 into the first period, before Utah countered on a Bryan Cameron slapshot 1:44 later and the game was tied at one. Ryan Turek and Derick Martin picked up assists on the first Utah goal.
The 1-1 score would hold until the third period when Tysen Dowzak fed Matt Reber in front for his third goal of the year and Utah took a 2-1 lead.
Alaska tied the game just 1:34 later on a power-play goal and the game would be 2-2 entering the final 90 seconds.
"It's tough to giveaway points in November against a team we're trying tochase," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "It's tough to swallow."
Andrew Engelage stopped 24-straight shots at one point and 26 of 29 overall in the game. Utah again competed shorthanded due to injuries and call-ups with just 14 skaters taking regular shifts.
Utah and Alaska meet again Saturday at 7 p.m. It is the team's Angel's Hands Foundation night. The Grizzlies will be wearing specialty jerseys that will be auctioned off live after the game for the charity.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 123
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 68
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 62
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29