West Valley City — The Alaska Aces (13-4-1-0) scored with 1:19 left in regulation and added a late empty-netter to defeat the Utah Grizzlies (10-6) 4-2 Saturday night at Maverik Center.
The Aces scored on their first shot, 2:02 into the first period, before Utah countered on a Bryan Cameron slapshot 1:44 later and the game was tied at one. Ryan Turek and Derick Martin picked up assists on the first Utah goal.
The 1-1 score would hold until the third period when Tysen Dowzak fed Matt Reber in front for his third goal of the year and Utah took a 2-1 lead.
Alaska tied the game just 1:34 later on a power-play goal and the game would be 2-2 entering the final 90 seconds.
"It's tough to giveaway points in November against a team we're trying tochase," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "It's tough to swallow."
Andrew Engelage stopped 24-straight shots at one point and 26 of 29 overall in the game. Utah again competed shorthanded due to injuries and call-ups with just 14 skaters taking regular shifts.
Utah and Alaska meet again Saturday at 7 p.m. It is the team's Angel's Hands Foundation night. The Grizzlies will be wearing specialty jerseys that will be auctioned off live after the game for the charity.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 54
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 42
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35