West Valley City — The Alaska Aces (13-4-1-0) scored with 1:19 left in regulation and added a late empty-netter to defeat the Utah Grizzlies (10-6) 4-2 Saturday night at Maverik Center.
The Aces scored on their first shot, 2:02 into the first period, before Utah countered on a Bryan Cameron slapshot 1:44 later and the game was tied at one. Ryan Turek and Derick Martin picked up assists on the first Utah goal.
The 1-1 score would hold until the third period when Tysen Dowzak fed Matt Reber in front for his third goal of the year and Utah took a 2-1 lead.
Alaska tied the game just 1:34 later on a power-play goal and the game would be 2-2 entering the final 90 seconds.
"It's tough to giveaway points in November against a team we're trying tochase," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "It's tough to swallow."
Andrew Engelage stopped 24-straight shots at one point and 26 of 29 overall in the game. Utah again competed shorthanded due to injuries and call-ups with just 14 skaters taking regular shifts.
Utah and Alaska meet again Saturday at 7 p.m. It is the team's Angel's Hands Foundation night. The Grizzlies will be wearing specialty jerseys that will be auctioned off live after the game for the charity.
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Prep sports: All-Sports awards feature 2...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 40
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 16
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7