West Valley City — The Alaska Aces (13-4-1-0) scored with 1:19 left in regulation and added a late empty-netter to defeat the Utah Grizzlies (10-6) 4-2 Saturday night at Maverik Center.
The Aces scored on their first shot, 2:02 into the first period, before Utah countered on a Bryan Cameron slapshot 1:44 later and the game was tied at one. Ryan Turek and Derick Martin picked up assists on the first Utah goal.
The 1-1 score would hold until the third period when Tysen Dowzak fed Matt Reber in front for his third goal of the year and Utah took a 2-1 lead.
Alaska tied the game just 1:34 later on a power-play goal and the game would be 2-2 entering the final 90 seconds.
"It's tough to giveaway points in November against a team we're trying tochase," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "It's tough to swallow."
Andrew Engelage stopped 24-straight shots at one point and 26 of 29 overall in the game. Utah again competed shorthanded due to injuries and call-ups with just 14 skaters taking regular shifts.
Utah and Alaska meet again Saturday at 7 p.m. It is the team's Angel's Hands Foundation night. The Grizzlies will be wearing specialty jerseys that will be auctioned off live after the game for the charity.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes outlast weather delay en route to 26-10...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33