West Valley City — The Alaska Aces (13-4-1-0) scored with 1:19 left in regulation and added a late empty-netter to defeat the Utah Grizzlies (10-6) 4-2 Saturday night at Maverik Center.
The Aces scored on their first shot, 2:02 into the first period, before Utah countered on a Bryan Cameron slapshot 1:44 later and the game was tied at one. Ryan Turek and Derick Martin picked up assists on the first Utah goal.
The 1-1 score would hold until the third period when Tysen Dowzak fed Matt Reber in front for his third goal of the year and Utah took a 2-1 lead.
Alaska tied the game just 1:34 later on a power-play goal and the game would be 2-2 entering the final 90 seconds.
"It's tough to giveaway points in November against a team we're trying tochase," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "It's tough to swallow."
Andrew Engelage stopped 24-straight shots at one point and 26 of 29 overall in the game. Utah again competed shorthanded due to injuries and call-ups with just 14 skaters taking regular shifts.
Utah and Alaska meet again Saturday at 7 p.m. It is the team's Angel's Hands Foundation night. The Grizzlies will be wearing specialty jerseys that will be auctioned off live after the game for the charity.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20