West Valley City — The Alaska Aces (13-4-1-0) scored with 1:19 left in regulation and added a late empty-netter to defeat the Utah Grizzlies (10-6) 4-2 Saturday night at Maverik Center.
The Aces scored on their first shot, 2:02 into the first period, before Utah countered on a Bryan Cameron slapshot 1:44 later and the game was tied at one. Ryan Turek and Derick Martin picked up assists on the first Utah goal.
The 1-1 score would hold until the third period when Tysen Dowzak fed Matt Reber in front for his third goal of the year and Utah took a 2-1 lead.
Alaska tied the game just 1:34 later on a power-play goal and the game would be 2-2 entering the final 90 seconds.
"It's tough to giveaway points in November against a team we're trying tochase," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "It's tough to swallow."
Andrew Engelage stopped 24-straight shots at one point and 26 of 29 overall in the game. Utah again competed shorthanded due to injuries and call-ups with just 14 skaters taking regular shifts.
Utah and Alaska meet again Saturday at 7 p.m. It is the team's Angel's Hands Foundation night. The Grizzlies will be wearing specialty jerseys that will be auctioned off live after the game for the charity.
- Getting back up off the ground: Utahn...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says Harvey...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State's Keeton getting Heisman hype
- Salt Lake City's Patrick Smyth reclaims...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 112
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 88
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 65
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 48
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 31
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 28
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars... 24