AMERICAN FALLS, Idaho — Call it an "International" incident.
Officials in southeastern Idaho are looking for two men who apparently helped themselves to two red International Harvester brand tractors sitting in a farmer's field near American Falls last week.
The farmer noticed the International 1586 and 674 missing on Nov. 18, Power County Chief Deputy Sheriff Jackie Morris said Friday.
KIFI-TV, which first reported the thefts, said witnesses had seen the tractors being hauled away on trailers pulled by pickup trucks.
Nobody got a license plate number, but Morris said the white Dodge pickup with dual wheels and the blue Chevrolet pickup match the description of the vehicles driven by two men who had stopped at a nearby farm looking for scrap metal last week.
The farmer values the tractors at a combined $5,000 to $7,000. He told investigators both vehicles ran, but they had their quirks. The larger tractor has a cab with a broken window and mismatched tire rims, Morris said.
"We've had a lot of scrap metal stolen," Morris said. "This is totally off the wall here."
He urged farmers who are putting away sprinkler pipe and other equipment to check on it at least once a month and to write down serial numbers of tractors and other major equipment.
Morris is contacting businesses that purchase scrap metal as well as tractor salvage businesses in an effort to track down the thieves.
- Herbert pleads with Obama to stop any new...
- Recreation, crowds and challenges: What's...
- About Utah: He never yelled, but he sure did...
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 50
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 38
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 36
- Herbert pleads with Obama to stop any... 27
- ACLU supports inmates' hunger strike,... 20
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 18
- EPA's Clean Power Plan draws Utah... 17
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12