AMERICAN FALLS, Idaho — Call it an "International" incident.
Officials in southeastern Idaho are looking for two men who apparently helped themselves to two red International Harvester brand tractors sitting in a farmer's field near American Falls last week.
The farmer noticed the International 1586 and 674 missing on Nov. 18, Power County Chief Deputy Sheriff Jackie Morris said Friday.
KIFI-TV, which first reported the thefts, said witnesses had seen the tractors being hauled away on trailers pulled by pickup trucks.
Nobody got a license plate number, but Morris said the white Dodge pickup with dual wheels and the blue Chevrolet pickup match the description of the vehicles driven by two men who had stopped at a nearby farm looking for scrap metal last week.
The farmer values the tractors at a combined $5,000 to $7,000. He told investigators both vehicles ran, but they had their quirks. The larger tractor has a cab with a broken window and mismatched tire rims, Morris said.
"We've had a lot of scrap metal stolen," Morris said. "This is totally off the wall here."
He urged farmers who are putting away sprinkler pipe and other equipment to check on it at least once a month and to write down serial numbers of tractors and other major equipment.
Morris is contacting businesses that purchase scrap metal as well as tractor salvage businesses in an effort to track down the thieves.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 50
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 36
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 35
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 28
- Tea party movement still strong,... 23
- Firing squad's return in Utah may... 14
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 12