AMERICAN FALLS, Idaho — Call it an "International" incident.
Officials in southeastern Idaho are looking for two men who apparently helped themselves to two red International Harvester brand tractors sitting in a farmer's field near American Falls last week.
The farmer noticed the International 1586 and 674 missing on Nov. 18, Power County Chief Deputy Sheriff Jackie Morris said Friday.
KIFI-TV, which first reported the thefts, said witnesses had seen the tractors being hauled away on trailers pulled by pickup trucks.
Nobody got a license plate number, but Morris said the white Dodge pickup with dual wheels and the blue Chevrolet pickup match the description of the vehicles driven by two men who had stopped at a nearby farm looking for scrap metal last week.
The farmer values the tractors at a combined $5,000 to $7,000. He told investigators both vehicles ran, but they had their quirks. The larger tractor has a cab with a broken window and mismatched tire rims, Morris said.
"We've had a lot of scrap metal stolen," Morris said. "This is totally off the wall here."
He urged farmers who are putting away sprinkler pipe and other equipment to check on it at least once a month and to write down serial numbers of tractors and other major equipment.
Morris is contacting businesses that purchase scrap metal as well as tractor salvage businesses in an effort to track down the thieves.
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud, money...
- Romney decision not to run again disappoints...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Undercover operation seizes $600,000 in...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 204
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 162
- Romney decision not to run again... 47
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 39
- LDS statement could move Utah... 31
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 21