AMERICAN FALLS, Idaho — Call it an "International" incident.
Officials in southeastern Idaho are looking for two men who apparently helped themselves to two red International Harvester brand tractors sitting in a farmer's field near American Falls last week.
The farmer noticed the International 1586 and 674 missing on Nov. 18, Power County Chief Deputy Sheriff Jackie Morris said Friday.
KIFI-TV, which first reported the thefts, said witnesses had seen the tractors being hauled away on trailers pulled by pickup trucks.
Nobody got a license plate number, but Morris said the white Dodge pickup with dual wheels and the blue Chevrolet pickup match the description of the vehicles driven by two men who had stopped at a nearby farm looking for scrap metal last week.
The farmer values the tractors at a combined $5,000 to $7,000. He told investigators both vehicles ran, but they had their quirks. The larger tractor has a cab with a broken window and mismatched tire rims, Morris said.
"We've had a lot of scrap metal stolen," Morris said. "This is totally off the wall here."
He urged farmers who are putting away sprinkler pipe and other equipment to check on it at least once a month and to write down serial numbers of tractors and other major equipment.
Morris is contacting businesses that purchase scrap metal as well as tractor salvage businesses in an effort to track down the thieves.
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- Mother and son charged in drive-by shooting...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Salt Lake County lands on Top 10 list of...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- One-third of Utah kids risk becoming...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 86
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 37
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 31
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 24
- Granite School District reaches... 22
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 16