Latest developments in the Occupy protests

Associated Press

Published: Friday, Nov. 25 2011 2:35 p.m. MST

File - In this file photo from Monday, Nov. 21, 2011, University of California, Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi is escorted from the stage after she spoke during a rally on campus in Davis, Calif. Katehi, the first woman chancellor of the University of California, Davis, has found herself in the middle of national debate over use of pepper spray and has issued two apologies to the student body over the force campus police used on Occupy Wall Street protesters. Resisting calls for her resignation, she initiated inquiries into the episode and now is bracing for a protests at a UC Regents meeting on her campus Monday.

Paul Sakuma, file, Associated Press

Enlarge photo»

CALIFORNIA

In Los Angeles, city leaders hope the seven-week-old Occupy LA encampment will disband sometime next week. More than 480 tents were erected on the lawns of City Hall. The camp has remained largely peaceful since police and city officials established a relationship early on based on dialogue instead of dictates.

Thursday, activist Teri Adaju, 46, said she typically serves dinner to homeless people on Thanksgiving and knows that many at the Los Angeles encampment were just that.

In San Francisco, 400 occupiers at a plaza in the financial district were served traditional Thanksgiving fixings sent by the renowned Glide Memorial Church to volunteers and supporters of the movement fighting social and economic inequality.

"We are thankful that we are, first and foremost, in a country where we can protest," said the Rev. Cecil Williams, the founder of Glide and a fixture in the city's activist community.

Oakland police say that when a truck driver tried to deliver a portable restroom to protesters Thursday at Frank Ogawa Plaza, officers ordered the driver to leave because he had no permit. Police and about 150 protesters squared off; one person was arrested.

MAINE

Five people face charges in Portland after police were called to investigate four separate assaults at the OccupyMaine encampment in Lincoln Park. The arrests were announced amid growing concerns over health and safety issues at the park, where OccupyMaine protesters have been camping since early October

MASSACHUSETTS

A judge has banned a Framingham woman from the Occupy Boston camp after she allegedly interfered with a domestic violence investigation at the site, failed to appear in court and punched two police officers and kicked another over two separate occasions.

Nineteen-year-old Jade Anderson was arraigned Friday on charges of disorderly conduct and several assault offenses. A Boston Municipal Court judge set bail at $850 and ordered Anderson to stay away from any Occupy Boston activities in the city. Her attorney did not immediately return a call for comment.

MINNESOTA

Heavy security kept a close eye at anti-Wall Street protesters who showed up at Republican Michele Bachmann's Black Friday book signing at the Mall of America in Bloomington.

The GOP presidential candidate signed copies of her "Core of Conviction" autobiography in a private area of the megamall. At least a dozen members from the Minnesota offshoot of the Occupy Wall Street movement bought copies so they could approach her.

Several uniformed and plain-clothed officers prevented the protesters from bringing in signs and let them into the room one at a time. Bachmann foes and fans alike were subject to bag searches and pat-downs before entering. Reporters were not allowed in the room when the protesters came through.

Anti-Wall Street protesters in Minneapolis plan to erect 99 tents next week in defiance of Hennepin County rules and a federal judge's decision. The Occupy Minneapolis Events Committee says the protesters have the right to assemble and the right to shelter.

The 99 tents relate to an Occupy slogan suggesting that 1 percent of the nation's population controls the wealth and the other 99 percent suffers the consequences.

NEVADA

Get The Deseret News Everywhere

Subscribe

Mobile

RSS