Clemson coach Dabo Swinney knows his players already had their "not-much-to-play-for" moment in Raleigh last week and thinks they'll rebound against their biggest rival. The Tigers have reached two of the five team goals posted in the meeting room wall in winning the opener and the ACC Atlantic Division. Goal No. 3 is winning the state championship.
"That's what we have to focus on. Let's be who we are. We've got volumes of tape of us doing the right things. That's what we have to get back to doing," Swinney said.
The Tigers' recent problems on offense — they've averaged only 20 points the last three games after scoring over 40 a contest in the 8-0 start — come from turnovers, according to Morris. Boyd threw 24 touchdowns and three interceptions in Clemson's perfect start, but just three TDs and six picks in the three games since.
By not taking care of the football, "we've lost some confidence the last few games," he said.
The Tigers will get a big shot of confidence with the return of Watkins, the freshman who leads the ACC with 10 touchdown catches. He sat out the loss to N.C. State because of a shoulder injury but has worked out all week.
Less certain is South Carolina's star freshman, defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, who suffered a mild concussion in last week's victory over The Citadel. Spurrier and defensive leader Ellis Johnson are hopeful Clowney will be ready.
Expect a strong effort from anyone in this game. The two teams haven't both been ranked when they've played since 2000 and the 18 combined wins are the most ever in rivalry history.
"I think it's neat for our state that we had two teams in the top 25 all year and occasionally in the top 15," Spurrier said.
AP writer Jeffrey Collins contributed to this report.
- BYU football: 10 players to buy stock in
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with...
- BYU football: 10 players poised for breakout...
- Graphic: What would happen if the Jazz match...
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match Gordon...
- Good first impression for Utah Jazz rookie...
- Jimmer Fredette returns to Provo to talk...
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to transfer...
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to... 263
- BYU-Utah rated nation's 12th-best... 110
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with... 61
- Brad Rock: What Gordon Hayward needs to... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Robert Anae likes... 28
- 4 Utah college football players named... 28
- BYU football: Box Elder's Riley Burt... 27
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match... 19