Michael Dinneen, Associated Press
ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Riquna Williams scored 17 points and No. 9 Miami beat South Florida 92-72 in the final of the Great Alaska Shootout on Thursday night.
Shenise Johnson added 11 points and nine rebounds for the Hurricanes (4-1). Sylvia Bullock, a Miami forward playing in her hometown of Anchorage, scored 10 points.
"We definitely came out here for reasons, one of those was to bring Sylvia home," Miami coach Katie Meier said. "We have five opportunities to win championships this year, there's four to go."
Jasmine Wynne led South Florida (4-3) with 21 points. Kaneisha Saunders added 11 points for the Bulls, and Akila McDonald and Andrell Smith had 10 apiece.
Miami led 44-32 at the break, and blew the game open early in the second half.
The Hurricanes went on a 24-7 run during the first 9 minutes to put away the Bulls (4-3).
It's the second straight game Miami has come out strong in the second half.
"The biggest growth has been our team's performance in the second half," Meier said.
Division II Alaska Anchorage had Miami bottled up in the tournament's first game before a similar strong second half run.
Meier attributes it to the Hurricanes' strong bench.
"We're not exhausted at halftime," she said.
South Florida was down 75-46 with 8:30 left, but a scrappy performance by the Bulls made the final score a little more respectable, South Florida coach Jose Fernandez said.
"If a game is out of reach, you need to win a game within a game, and I think we did that," he said. "I was disappointed we gave up as many points as we did. We didn't play defense particularly well here in Alaska."
Central Michigan beat Alaska Anchorage 90-84 in overtime in the third-place game.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 111
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 21
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 20