However, before a crowd of 3,000 at Cummings Field, the Utes picked up their first victory over the Buffaloes in 1906, winning by a 10-0 margin in late November under adverse conditions.
The newspaper account of the game, which described almost every play of the entire game in detail, said the field was covered with "mud and slush from two to six inches in depth" and that "it was impossible to distinguish one player from another."
The conditions were so bad that "the men of both teams would pile on top of (the ball carrier) and he was squashed into the mud and at times entirely disappeared. Time would be called to wash out his eyes and mouth and then the game would proceed."
Back then, touchdowns only counted as five points (it changed to six in 1912) and the Utes made two touchdowns, by Russell and Pitt (no first names were used in the story). However because of the "impossible" conditions, Utah missed both extra points.
According to the newspaper report, "the snow and cold weather had no effect upon the people, who went wild with enthusiasm when it was seen that Utah was better than Colorado and would win the game."
Utah won nine straight from 1925 to 1933, the longest winning streak in the series. By 1948, a 14-12 victory in Salt Lake, Utah led the series 22-21-2. But Colorado didn't lose to Utah for a decade, winning nine games and tying another between 1949 and 1958, before Utah came up with the final two victories.
Friday's game is being billed as the "Rumble in the Rockies" as marketing and PR folks are trying their best to build a rivalry or revive an old one.
It may take awhile.
"It's a different feel," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. "I don't think you can manufacture a rivalry game. It's something that has to naturally come about. It's not something you can force to happen, but we'll see how things work out."
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- BYU football: Receiver Nick Kurtz poised for...
- Dick Harmon: How much swagger BYU finds after...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 84
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 62
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 28
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 25