The Chase for the Sprint Cup finale picked up viewers with the tight competition for the championship.
Sunday's race in Homestead, Fla., earned a 4.0 rating on ESPN. The network said Tuesday that was up 18 percent from last year. It was also up from the 3.6 for the 2009 race on ABC.
Ratings for the Chase on ESPN and ABC increased 14.8 percent from 2010, averaging a 3.1. Excluding rainout races, ESPN and ABC's NASCAR Sprint Cup coverage for 2011 averaged a 3.2, up more than 6 percent from last year.
Tony Stewart seized his third Cup championship Sunday, winning the season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway and holding off rival Carl Edwards for a tie in the final Sprint Cup Series standings — good enough to win the title based on his five victories.
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 67
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 35
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28