BYU football: CBSSports.com reports BYU move to Big East 'unlikely'
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — As reported Monday night by the Deseret News, negotiations between BYU and the Big East have been stalled as the two sides haggle over television contracts.
On Tuesday, CBSSports.com reported that the chances of the Cougars joining the Big East appears "unlikely."
According to CBSSports.com's Brett McMurphy, "unless BYU decides to relinquish its television rights for its home football games" BYU will not move to the Big East as a football-only member.
"I doubt BYU will happen," a college football industry source told CBSSports.com. "They are being extremely unreasonable all of a sudden. This is one reason why they did not get into the Big 12."
BYU, which boasts an eight-year broadcasting deal with ESPN, has been exploring the possibility of joining the Big East for several weeks.
"If the Big East does not have the television rights to BYU's home games, it would affect the Big East's upcoming negotiations for its new media rights deal with ESPN, NBC-Comcast and/or Fox," McMurphy wrote. "There are no schools in any of the BCS AQ conferences that retain their home television rights, only those schools that are independents. BYU is in its first year as an independent after leaving the Mountain West and last year signed an eight-year deal with ESPN, which would have to be reworked if the Cougars joined the Big East."
The Big East is looking to add a western division, with teams like BYU, Boise State and Air Force. If BYU opts to remain an independent rather than go to the Big East, San Diego State is considered as a potential replacement for the Cougars.
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 49
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Backfield to the future: Hill, Williams... 12