BYU football: CBSSports.com reports BYU move to Big East 'unlikely'
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — As reported Monday night by the Deseret News, negotiations between BYU and the Big East have been stalled as the two sides haggle over television contracts.
On Tuesday, CBSSports.com reported that the chances of the Cougars joining the Big East appears "unlikely."
According to CBSSports.com's Brett McMurphy, "unless BYU decides to relinquish its television rights for its home football games" BYU will not move to the Big East as a football-only member.
"I doubt BYU will happen," a college football industry source told CBSSports.com. "They are being extremely unreasonable all of a sudden. This is one reason why they did not get into the Big 12."
BYU, which boasts an eight-year broadcasting deal with ESPN, has been exploring the possibility of joining the Big East for several weeks.
"If the Big East does not have the television rights to BYU's home games, it would affect the Big East's upcoming negotiations for its new media rights deal with ESPN, NBC-Comcast and/or Fox," McMurphy wrote. "There are no schools in any of the BCS AQ conferences that retain their home television rights, only those schools that are independents. BYU is in its first year as an independent after leaving the Mountain West and last year signed an eight-year deal with ESPN, which would have to be reworked if the Cougars joined the Big East."
The Big East is looking to add a western division, with teams like BYU, Boise State and Air Force. If BYU opts to remain an independent rather than go to the Big East, San Diego State is considered as a potential replacement for the Cougars.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34