BYU football: CBSSports.com reports BYU move to Big East 'unlikely'
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — As reported Monday night by the Deseret News, negotiations between BYU and the Big East have been stalled as the two sides haggle over television contracts.
On Tuesday, CBSSports.com reported that the chances of the Cougars joining the Big East appears "unlikely."
According to CBSSports.com's Brett McMurphy, "unless BYU decides to relinquish its television rights for its home football games" BYU will not move to the Big East as a football-only member.
"I doubt BYU will happen," a college football industry source told CBSSports.com. "They are being extremely unreasonable all of a sudden. This is one reason why they did not get into the Big 12."
BYU, which boasts an eight-year broadcasting deal with ESPN, has been exploring the possibility of joining the Big East for several weeks.
"If the Big East does not have the television rights to BYU's home games, it would affect the Big East's upcoming negotiations for its new media rights deal with ESPN, NBC-Comcast and/or Fox," McMurphy wrote. "There are no schools in any of the BCS AQ conferences that retain their home television rights, only those schools that are independents. BYU is in its first year as an independent after leaving the Mountain West and last year signed an eight-year deal with ESPN, which would have to be reworked if the Cougars joined the Big East."
The Big East is looking to add a western division, with teams like BYU, Boise State and Air Force. If BYU opts to remain an independent rather than go to the Big East, San Diego State is considered as a potential replacement for the Cougars.
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 105
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 41
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey rebuts rumor... 14