Mitt Romney tells 'People' about Jesus, beer, his iPad music
Jim Cole, Associated Press
In a new interview with People magazine, Mitt Romney candidly talks about the central role of Jesus Christ in his faith, drinking and smoking once as a teenager, and what music he has on his iPad.
Politico's Playbook tipsheet published an excerpt Tuesday morning from the forthcoming interview with People.
In response to the question, "If you could clear up one misunderstanding about Mormonism, what would it be?" Romney at first demurred but eventually chose to highlight the church's emphasis on Jesus Christ.
"That's not my responsibility as a candidate, and the church could do a better job describing that than I," Romney said. "But perhaps the greatest is that the real name is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We consider Jesus the Son of God without parallel."
The former Massachusetts governor discloses to People that "I tasted a beer and tried a cigarette once, as a wayward teenager" — but ABC News blogger Emily Friedman points out the admission isn't entirely new news.
"While many were shocked to learn that Romney had once tasted alcohol, this is an admission Romney has made before. In a June interview with CNN's Piers Morgan, Romney said, 'I have tested alcohol. I tried it on one occasion. It was not a good experience. But drugs, never.' "
Asked about his iPad, Romney says he uses the tablet device while on the treadmill, and that loaded on the iPad he has Angry Birds, Scrabble and an eclectic collection of music including The Killers, Roy Orbison and the Eagles.
The Boston Globe published a brief summary of the new Romney interview beneath the headline, "People magazine bores into Mitt Romney's personal life, religious boundaries."
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- First trailer for 'Captain America: Civil...
- Officer charged with murder in teen's death;...
- Group raised suspicions before 5 were shot at...
- Obama admin says states lack authority to...
- Chicago officer who shot teen amassed 18...
- Dino to help kick off Sinclair’s...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 85
- Trump says he saw people celebrating... 38
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 30
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back... 26
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to... 23
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in... 22
- Obama pledges solidarity with France,... 19
- Officer charged with murder in teen's... 17