The award in the TV Movie/Mini-Series category went to Sweden's "Millennium," based on the late Stieg Larsson's best-selling trilogy that follows investigative journalist Mikael Blomkvist and the anti-social computer hacker Lisbeth Salander as they unravel various crimes.
A real-life family drama, Canada's "Life with Murder," about an Ontario couple, Brian and Leslie Jenkins, struggling to accept their son back into the family after he's convicted of murdering his younger sister, was chosen the best documentary. The couple learned during the making of the film who actually killed their daughter and the real killer confessed on camera.
"This is the most meaningful Emmy that I've won because of the wonderful sacrifice of the family in the film ... made by allowing us into the darkest and most difficult corners of their lives," said director John Kastner, who now has won three International Emmys.
Other winners included Portugal's "Lacos de Sangue" ("Blood Ties") for best telenovela; the Belgian hidden camera show "Benidorm Bastards" for best comedy, and Chile's "Con Que Suenas?" ("What Is Your Dream?") in the children & young people category.
Actress Archie Panjabi ("The Good Wife") and Citigroup chairman Richard Parsons presented the honorary International Emmy Directorate Award to Indian media mogul Subhash Chandra, who broke a government monopoly by launching India's first privately owned satellite television channel nearly 20 years ago. His Zee TV network now reaches more than 600 million viewers worldwide.
"All eyes are on India today and it is a great privilege to be the first Indian to receive this award," Chandra said. "While India has been well respected as a technology and IT software giant, this award helps tremendously to raise the profile of India's leading role in television production and broadcasting media."
The awards are sponsored by the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, which includes media and entertainment figures from more than 50 countries and 500 companies.
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex marriage
- 2 dead in shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- Q&A: Journalist Dan Rather speaks on courage...
- Government ups air bag warning to 7.8M vehicles
- Lower gas prices could mean economic impact...
- CVS tacks tobacco payment to prescription...
- Jurors given conflicting views of Jodi Arias
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 109
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 22
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 17
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 16
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 10
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- At rallies, Obama casts 2014 as key for... 8
- This type of high school can increase... 8